One chick - one day early - DEAD !!! What have I done ?

Thye Make Take A While Longer To Hatch So Extra Time Is A Good Idea. Also If You're Questioning Their Viability Float Test Them Before You Pull The Plug.

I Was Hoping You Would Say That !!!
smile.png

After removing the plugs the humidity has dropped to 65%.

I have read that the humidity should be anywhere from 55% to 94% for Coturnix during the last three days of incubation.
Apparently there is a difference in incubation for different varieties of quail.
The majority of the sources said between 65 and 78%

This being my first experience with Coturnix quail or quail of any kind for that matter, I am easily swayed.
I tried to educate myself before the eggs arrived but the more I read, the more confused I became.

I have decided that my SENSAI of quail will be
bow.gif
JJMR794.

When I try again I will be buying my eggs from him, instructions included.

SO LONG AS YOU SET THE EGGS UPRIGHT FOR LOCKDOWN YOU MAY USE HIGH HUMIDITY HATCHING METHOD AND IT WILL PRODUCE HIGHER HATCH RATES. IF THEY ARE LYING ON THEIR SIDES MANY WILL DROWN EVEN IF THE HUMIDITY IS LOW.

SAORSA, SAD TO SAY DAY 20 IS LATE.... I HOPE ITS JUST FROM BEING UNDERCOOKED AND NOT ASPHXIATION FROM THE PLUGS BEING LEFT IN...
fl.gif
TIME AND FLOAT TESTS WILL TELL.

Quote:
Which method would you use to set the eggs upright? Would it be quail flats and do you cut holes for air circulation? Details would be nice
smile.png

I Use The Paper Mache' Egg Flats ( Quail Or Chukar Size) I Set The Trays In The Hatcher About 24 Hrs Before Lockdown--- That Way Any Influence Over Humidity Is Balanced Out Before I Move The Eggs. No Holes Are Needed.

Quote:
Thanks! I won't be using a separate hatcher so I may have to dampen them first.

Last edited:
my quail took longer than the days it called for I was ready to open them after about two days late and they started hatching. I didnt get a great hatch, percent wise, but I did get some babies.

This morning, day 22, I opened the eggs and inspected the embryos.

The results of the test hatch:

1 egg arrived cracked.
9 eggs had no sign of any development, (infertile?, x-rayed?).
1 egg had less than 8 days of development.
1 egg developed for approximately 8 days.
1 egg was fully developed, was in the proper position, showed no sign of malady, but failed to pip even through the membrane.
1 chick hatched on the night of the 26th, one day early, showed no sign of malady but died very quickly.

NO BABIES
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom