One Chick Survives

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Booswalia, May 9, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody let her eggs get cold last night just as they were starting to hatch. I took the eggs inside and put them into a makeshift incubator and one chick has hatched out. The others have no sign of life.

This one little chick is real trooper. It's lifting it's head now and peeping like crazy. I have the temperature at 37C and a damp facecloth in there with it. Should I keep the humidity high or can let that drop now?

Will one chick be too lonesome to survive? Any advise would be helpful.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would wait at least three days before tossing eggs unless they are rotten (I would smell them). They may yet hatch. Do you know exactly how long they were set upon?

Keep the humidity up!!!

Your little survivor will be fine, but lonely. You can put a mirror in with him and a stuffed animal or feather duster if he is the lone hatching chick. Or you can go to the feed store and buy him a friend.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. Booswalia

It was day 22 for the other eggs. That's why I gave up on them.
    A mirror, yes that's a great idea.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Oh if you aren't hatching anymore eggs, then you want your little one to dry out so she can go to the brooder.

5. Booswalia

She's starting to dry out a little bit. How long does that usually take?
    Right now I have her in a towel covered plastic box with a 90watt bulb overhead and pine shavings in the bottom. Temperature is reading about 36 to 39 C. She's seems quite content in there. Peeps a lot between taking naps.

6. Booswalia

...and thanks for your help, by the way. I think I have a lot of reading to do over the next few days.

7. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Quote:I had only one chick hatch out of my batch, he is a week old now, and perfectly healthy. He is clingy, though, and loves being held. I think yours should be fine, just visit him often [​IMG]

8. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Quote:Usually 24 hours, give or take a few [​IMG] What kind is she?

9. Booswalia

She will be a total surprise. I forgot to ask what they were when I got the eggs from the farmer. They are likely Delawares but maybe not.
    She's not peeping as much today. Is that normal?

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:32-35 would be your correct temperature range for the first week of life (90-95 degrees fahrenheit) under the light. Decrease by 5 degrees for each week until 6 weeks old BUT must be fully feathered even on the head before turning off the lamp unless in hot climate.

If you heat the chick up too much it might die.

She must be able to get away from the heat, too, as the listed recommended temperatures are often too hot for individuals (chickens have individual metabolisms and preferences).

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
    here is a converter

Here is an excellent chick care page:
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by