One chick with coccidia symptoms--do I treat them all?

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
One of my 4 week old chicks has some loose poops/ a dirty bottom. The only thing I can think of is coccidia. It has been wet and hot down here in SW Florida, and these guys get outside and under their juvy-coop a lot. I want to start this little lady on Corid, but should I treat all the other chicks? All of them act normal--eating and drinking well, no guys looking puffy yet. Thanks for your input.

It is usually easier to treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) It is safe for all, and it won’t hurt them.

That's what I thought. I have Corid liquid. I'll go ahead and treat them all. My only hesitancy was not wanting to build up resistance in the chicks that are not sick.

Corid will not build up a resistance. It is not an antibiotic, but it mimics thiamine (vitamin B 1,) and if any other get sick, it will help to have them all on a 5 day treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure they are drinking well.

Many give Corid routinely to chicks every so often until they are several months old, as they are building up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil and poop. Especially if there has been a previous outbreak, it can be helpful.

Corid will not build up a resistance. It is not an antibiotic, but it mimics thiamine (vitamin B 1,) and if any other get sick, it will help to have them all on a 5 day treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure they are drinking well.

Many give Corid routinely to chicks every so often until they are several months old, as they are building up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil and poop. Especially if there has been a previous outbreak, it can be helpful.
Thanks so much for this response, I know that Corid is not an antibiotic, but I have read that people suspect a potential resistance in their chicks. I will go ahead and treat them all with the 2 teaspoon x gallon for 5 days and hope for the best. I also added a super thick layer of pine shavings to their little run, so they should be somewhat protected. Thanks again!

Yes, some strains of the most serious coccidia can become resistant to amprollium (Corid.) Sulfa drugs (sulfadimethoxine, Albon, SMZ-TMP, bactrim, sulfatrim) can be used in those cases, but it usually has to come from a vet unless you can locate some online without a prescription.

Yes, some strains of the most serious coccidia can become resistant to amprollium (Corid.) Sulfa drugs (sulfadimethoxine, Albon, SMZ-TMP, bactrim, sulfatrim) can be used in those cases, but it usually has to come from a vet unless you can locate some online without a prescription.

Thanks. I cleaned and disinfected the chicks' cage thoroughly, replaced all the pine flakes with a thick layer under their cage, and treated with Corid. Fingers crossed that we're all set. I am not even 100% sure it was coccidia that caused the poopy butt on my little Araucana chick, but she's lovely and double-tufted, so I want to be sure I keep her healthy. :)

Don’t laugh at how many of these little fellas
2BEC0284-97D6-4B8A-822F-2807125C0602.jpeg
are cockerels...cock-a-doodle-sigh!!! But they sure are cute!

Back
Top Bottom