One chicken being picked on by most of the flock

CityChick1659

Hatching
Jan 29, 2021
When I started my chickens 2 years ago, I started with 5 chickens. Then a year ago one of my chickens was broody and we kept 2 of their chicks. So right now we have 7 chickens. Lately, one of chickens, a Buff Orpington, has been getting picked on by almost all of the other chickens in my flock. The chicken that has been getting picked on has lost feathers on their neck and even some blood has resulted. I’ve seen this chicken crouch down when the other chicken approaches them as the other chicken pecks on their neck. They are also hiding and not coming out with the rest of the flock unless we call to them by name. We are working on getting the chickens into a new, larger coop and we are isolating the chicken from the rest of the flock. I’m not sure what the cause of this is and what do about it?!

I would try these ideas:
  • pin - less peepers.
  • more space
  • more clutter - hideouts, roosts, pallets, ladders, saw horses, chairs, totes, anything that can allow a chicken to get out into the run, and away from other birds, especially if all the birds can see every bird 100% of the time.
  • multiple feed stations - I generally have one for every 3-4 birds, and set up so that a bird eating at one station cannot see (behind a piece of plywood, or pallet, or cardboard) other birds eating at a different station.
  • Or culling the bird. Sometimes a bird just does not fit, especially if in crowded situations
  • With chickens, the idea that being raised together will influence tomorrows behavior is a moot point. Chickens do not think that way.
Almost always, when this happens, what was enough room when they were smaller, is not enough room when they get larger. Cluttered space is important.

Mrs K

Adding chickens to an existing flock can be problematic for some. Others not so much.I watched a video of a guy who had chickens and wanted to add more so he turned all his chickens out and had the other chickens waiting to go in the run.Then he did the funniest thing.He redid the whole run and coop.He moved every roost that was out in the run .He raied them a little or lowered them. He added some more roosts and cleaned the ones in the coop and changed the feeders location.He cleaned and added a few more things so it didn't look like the same coop to his old flock then added a couple new chickens to the run before he let any of his old flock in.After a little while he added a few new chickens then he let a few more of his old flock back in and he watched them checking everything out .Finally he opened the door to the run and let all his old flock inside.His chickens and the new ones acted like they'd been together all their life.Not a single one got in a fight and they never fought afterwards either.He said chickens are territorial so moving everything and adding more stuff made it new to all of them at the same time so none of them had a reason to fight.I've never tried this myself.I only have 6 and have no intention of adding anymore.Chickens are a lot of work when you're older like myself.

^^^^^That is what I do, I have a lot of clutter in my run. (junk) And I rearrange the furniture, then I let the new ones in to explore and figure it out. I think there is quite a difference in being chased in a place you know, verses being chased in a place you don't know.

Close to dark, I let the old ones in, and the urge to roost is nearly as strong as the urge to fight.

BUT I HAVE A HUGE AMOUNT OF ROOM. 20 x 30 ft run.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom