One chicken constantly gets picked on and the others won't let it eat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bairdfarm, Aug 1, 2013.

1. bairdfarm

bairdfarm New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    We have 8 hens. One hen constantly gets picked on, and the other hens won't let it eat. All of our hens are the same age, but this one hen is smaller than the others. We want this small hen to be able to grow, but the other hens won't let it eat, and they also pick on it periodically throughout the day. We are wondering if possibly the chickens know something we don't. Maybe this one small hen is sick or not developing properly? We currently have this one small hen separated, but we would like to be able to introduce it back to the other hens. Any ideas on what we could do for this hen?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    first get her nice and healthy and grown. then slowly add 1 hen to her every month or so.takes forever but works.

3. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    you stole what I was gonna say

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Picked on bird may be in poor health. Hold her to see. Treat her if need be. To ensure increased feed intake try confining her to a pen of her own within the existing pen and provide her with food and water there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by