One chicken has died unexpectedly, and the others (3) will not lay eggs

kcvalentine

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Went out one morning to service my coop and found one our Rhode Island Reds dead with no trauma, and there was no sign of previous disease. It was totally unexpected. Now the other 3 Chickens have stopped laying, as if they are depressed. not sure what is going on, other than one has just finished molting and the weather is starting to cool.

But it has been over a week, and no egg production. A COMPLETE HALT.

Any suggestions???????

nothing stressful happened before her death, and there was no trauma. The 3 other birds have started or finishing their molting with the new weather starting. I live in California and it is changing from lows in the 70's to now the upper 40's and low 50's. They have not laid any eggs since the ones passing. I find it strange. They are acting fine, eating and drinking well.

Are they in a safe run or free range? They could have gotten really frightened by a predator. Sometimes that can kill them. I had a coon attack in my run once and it killed 2 of the hens.......but the others didn't lay the rest of the summer...and the attack happened in June. Being really frightened can really shut down their egg laying for quite awhile.

Are they in a safe run or free range? They could have gotten really frightened by a predator. Sometimes that can kill them. I had a coon attack in my run once and it killed 2 of the hens.......but the others didn't lay the rest of the summer...and the attack happened in June. Being really frightened can really shut down their egg laying for quite awhile.
Oh, good point! any updates?

Back
Top Bottom