One Chicken Keeps her Tail Held High

The hens wont necessarily become broody just because there is a rooster around..our hens have had a rooster around their while lifes, but we only have one or 2 (our silkies) that become broody. So I wouldn't worry to much. And on the bright side, if you decide you would like to hatch chicks from your own flock you can!
Great! Thank you so much!

Oh, good. Thank you for sharing that option with me!

"Neutering" (caponizing) is pretty tough to do, very few vets are willing or capable of doing it, so most people who know how to caponize do it at home. It's surgery, their testicles are inside the body up behind the ribs. So not really an option for most folks...

This is a little off topic but could you share how your starlight grew. I have one thay I think may be a rooster but I can't find much on pullet vs cockerel development.

This is a little off topic but could you share how your starlight grew. I have one thay I think may be a rooster but I can't find much on pullet vs cockerel development.
Of course! They aren't a common breed, I don't even think they are an "official" breed. Here's some photos. She is 15 weeks old today.
462B1D54-5AD6-4EA2-93FD-05272592A3AB.JPEG
CEC27F6C-45D5-4885-837F-968D879BBCED.JPEG
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8402.JPG
IMG_9524.jpeg
IMG_9758.jpeg

Her waddle became prominent around 11-12 weeks old.

"Neutering" (caponizing) is pretty tough to do, very few vets are willing or capable of doing it, so most people who know how to caponize do it at home. It's surgery, their testicles are inside the body up behind the ribs. So not really an option for most folks...

Well it never hurts to learn. Afterall "rehoming" a rooster is also difficult and so is managing a mob of rambunctious cockerels rampaging in your backyard. They also keep people from hatching their own farm eggs.

Back
Top Bottom