One chicken keeps kicking straw out of boxes..

NikSmith

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 4, 2013
I have one chicken who spends her time kicking straw out of the nesting boxes. She will spend most of her time in the box, outside of it, half in it, etc, and now I've noticed that she slowly (over a couple days) takes all the straw out of the boxes! Anyone else have a chicken that does this? I'm not sure what's up with her..if she is going broody, or if that's just her spot and her thing to do.
THanks!

It's very likely just 'her thing to do'. A higher lip on the nest box would make it more difficult for her to kick out the bedding.

Is she a new layer?
They act pretty goofy until they figure things out, can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.
Higher front lip can help.

All of my chickens are doing this also. I don't know why either. I have tried pine shavings and straw. They kick out all of it. Good question! Will be watching for answers if any.

My chickens have just started doing this too...never have before. But now as soon as I fill the nesting box, they (or one of them) completely empty it out. I even found 2 instances of poop in the nesting box. They never do that!! Wondered what caused this all of the sudden. I've tried shredded paper and straw in the nesting box. Doesn't seem to matter what the material is - they suddenly want it out.

i use pine in the bottom of box and some straw on top i have a 4 inch ledge, they seem to use one box but they also like to perch there at night, and poop, i just clean the boxes alot i have 4 boxes about 3 feet off the ground and 6 hens and a roo, they dont seem to care if they soil the eggs, as long as i clean boxes im good, they just dont seem to care

Back
Top Bottom