One chicken killed by a dog, the rest escaped and I don't know where they are

FattySmough

Songster
May 2, 2021
South Kansas
Hello. I'm making this post for a friend who isn't a member of the forum.

Earlier today his dog killed one of his four pullets, and the remaining three are gone from his yard without a trace. He has looked around checked with his neighbors and they haven't seen any sign of the chickens either. Is there any advice I can give him to help find his remaining chickens, assuming that they survived? Is there any chance the birds will come back on their own? Thanks.

There is a very good chance that they could be hiding. Now that it is dark, they hopefully are roosting in bushes or on a fence. In the morning when they are hungry, they may come looking for water and food. I would get out at dawn and start looking and calling to them. Put food and water out, get some treats or scratch and call to them. Tell them to keep the dog put up so it doesn’t spook them. Hopefully, it won’t be so cold that they freeze to death. Good luck.

There is a very good chance that they could be hiding. Now that it is dark, they hopefully are roosting in bushes or on a fence. In the morning when they are hungry, they may come looking for water and food. I would get out at dawn and start looking and calling to them. Put food and water out, get some treats or scratch and call to them. Tell them to keep the dog put up so it doesn’t spook them. Hopefully, it won’t be so cold that they freeze to death. Good luck.
His mom won't allow the dog inside overnight, so it will be outside in a runner. Hopefully that won't scare his chickens away if they do come back. At least the dog won't have free roam of the yard I suppose, and cold won't be a huge issue since he lives in Texas. Hopefully all goes well for him.

Back
Top Bottom