One Chicken

MChristoffersen

Hatching
Sep 18, 2020
Hi Everyone! We recently went from two chickens down to one. I've read and read and read about hens being flock animals and social etc... however, this time of year it is impossible to find hens and in all honesty, we really don't have the setup to introduce a new hen into the "flock" (it's not really a flock anymore...) appropriately. We were planning on moving in the spring and building an incredible set up for our hens where we could introduce new ones easily. Anyway, our now this happened and so we are planning to provide a lot of toys and engagement for our one hen and hope she lasts until spring when we can get chicks and build our flock back up. We let our hen out to free roam our yard and garden a couple hours everyday, I've bought a couple toys for when she's in the coop, and my daughter engages her and plays with her. What is the likelihood she will survive solo until Spring when we can get her friends again?

Hi Everyone! We recently went from two chickens down to one. I've read and read and read about hens being flock animals and social etc... however, this time of year it is impossible to find hens and in all honesty, we really don't have the setup to introduce a new hen into the "flock" (it's not really a flock anymore...) appropriately. We were planning on moving in the spring and building an incredible set up for our hens where we could introduce new ones easily. Anyway, our now this happened and so we are planning to provide a lot of toys and engagement for our one hen and hope she lasts until spring when we can get chicks and build our flock back up. We let our hen out to free roam our yard and garden a couple hours everyday, I've bought a couple toys for when she's in the coop, and my daughter engages her and plays with her. What is the likelihood she will survive solo until Spring when we can get her friends again?
You could keep her alone and just see how she does. And a mirror is a good idea.

You could also consider finding her a flock she can join if it turns out she is unhappy.

You could keep her alone and just see how she does. And a mirror is a good idea.

You could also consider finding her a flock she can join if it turns out she is unhappy.
Awesome! A mirror and the xylophone toy are the ones I've purchased!!! She's more of a pet now, so I'm trying to make giving her away a last resort... but if it means she'd be happier, we will. :(

Awesome! A mirror and the xylophone toy are the ones I've purchased!!! She's more of a pet now, so I'm trying to make giving her away a last resort... but if it means she'd be happier, we will. :(
I understand. Mine are like pets to me, too. She will give you signs if she's not happy and maybe reconsider getting her a couple of buddies if need be.

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Hi! We had a similar thing happen last year. Ours did fine for a while, but we ordered her some started pullets that came in at 16/17 weeks old and they were the perfect size for her to be the boss of, but they were not too small to be picked on too badly, we just introduced over a couple weeks. Maybe a large dog crate and letting them roam the yard on different schedules? Just an idea. Here is the link to Murray McMurray started pullets, we ordered a Delaware and a Buff orp, but you can order just one if you want. https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/started_pullets.html
Good luck, I hope she does well by herself, she very well might with your company and some toys!

Back
Top Bottom