One copy of Dominate White and one copy of Dun?

SouthPhillyJim

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Port Norris, NJ
The research I have gathered states that dun will be covered by dominate white. Because they are at the same allele is it possible that it could be co-dominate? Has anyone crossed a bird with 2 copies of Dom White with a khaki bird? I am wondering if some parts of the feather would be dun and some would be white.

Yes, a bird can have both dominante white and dun. I have no clue on how it would actually look though. If you tried this crossing with buff or "chocolate" duckwing, I'm sure the dun would show up more likely than if you tried it with a more solid colored dun bird.

According to the chicken calculator, I/I^d will still be white. and Crossing I/I to I^d/I^d will still be white.

Quote:
But the calculator only labels and puts in images for good guesses. (It even mentions this) For example, if you cross wheaten, duckwing, or crowwing to black - It says you get pure black. In reality, you get a bird that looks identical to a brown-red.
wink.png

Exactically! I am not sure I trust the calculator 100%. I have a chick. It is 3/4 silkie 1/4 polish. I can only guess what the colors of the parents are by looking I have no solid information on what their parents were. The sire is a show girl. He is white but looks to be covering buff. His tail is black. The mother looks like she is dun. She is solid. One chick is black the other is the interesting combo I am guess is dun and white. At hatching it looked like it might be lavender or splash. I will try to get pictues of everyone.

I know, and there's a whole slew of other genes that affect expression. I don't have any dom white genes in my flock, so the only way I can help is by parroting information.
roll.png

I see you have some silkie serama. I have ideas in my head about little tiny show girl serams. I know someone around here is going to have silkie serama at somepoint.

You mean naked neck silkied Seramas? Or just pretty silkied Seramas? I'm starting out with one pullet, but I have a neighbor who has been breeding them for a while, and she may share.

The combination dom.white with dun = I/I^d will be white with some chocolate spots which would be black if the animal would not carry dun (I/i+). But these spots can be absent; a heterozygous dom.white bird could be full white (little to no flecks). Same goes for a splash.

Yes, rustiness (applies to males mostly) is not shown in the calculator because some of the genes that counteract this are not known.

You can trust the calculator more than a silky expressing colorgenes...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom