One day old baby chicken

Hillery Vincent

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
This baby was what looked to be gasping for air. Every few minutes or so I can hear it let out a little chirp. It won't stand up or sit down on its own. When I got home today I went to check on baby and momma. The baby was laying in the feed, it looked to be dead already. So I grabbed it to get rid of it. But then when I got closer to the heat lamp it started moving a little bit. So now I have it inside and holding it on my heating pad. How can I help this baby? It was up and walking around yesterday and didn't seem like anything was wrong with it.

This baby was what looked to be gasping for air. Every few minutes or so I can hear it let out a little chirp. It won't stand up or sit down on its own. When I got home today I went to check on baby and momma. The baby was laying in the feed, it looked to be dead already. So I grabbed it to get rid of it. But then when I got closer to the heat lamp it started moving a little bit. So now I have it inside and holding it on my heating pad. How can I help this baby? It was up and walking around yesterday and didn't seem like anything was wrong with it.

I’m so sorry. 😞 Is the chick still alive? Continue to keep it warm but be careful not to overheat it on the pad. It’s possible it got too cold if you found it away from its mother. I can only tell you what I would do… continue the warmth and be patient to see if it can recover.

Do you have photos of the chick?

She was with a broody hen? Is this the only chick? Was the chick with the broody only or with a flock of chickens?

I'd keep her warm and give her drops of warmed sugar water. Just give 1 drop at a time.

If she's gasping, she may be in the process of dying, hard to know.

I’m so sorry. 😞 Is the chick still alive? Continue to keep it warm but be careful not to overheat it on the pad. It’s possible it got too cold if you found it away from its mother. I can only tell you what I would do… continue the warmth and be patient to see if it can recover.
Unfortunately it ended up passing away in my hand 😭😭

Back
Top Bottom