one day old chicks under broody questions

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a broody who I just put two day old chicks under last night. Everyone was alive in the morning. I went out again to check in the afternoon and everyone is alive but Mom pecks them quite hard when they are not under her. She had gathered another egg, which I removed in case this was an issue. It is also about 65 today so maybe she is trying to keep them warm? However, she did leave them completely alone for 10-15 minutes to go and dust bathe. She settled back over them and appears fine as long as they stay underneath. Should I be concerned at this point or as long as we have no blood shed, leave her be? I have not heard her purr to them at all either. This is her first time being given chicks.

It is normal for a broody to peck at her new chicks if they stray too far away from her. Since a broody doesn't have hands, she uses her beak to teach her chicks where to be.
However, are these feedstore chicks? If so then they need to eat and drink, even though a broody's instincts tell her that newly hatched chicks don't need to eat for 48 hours. You can place chick feed and water just outside the broody's nest box. That way the chicks will come out from underneath mom to eat and drink,, then go back underneath her for warmth. Since it's now after dark where you are, she will likely bring her chicks out in the morning anyway. I'm sorry you didn't get a quicker answer today.

Thank you so much for the reply!! I took the chicks out in the morning and again at dusk for a quick bite and water. She was making purring noises with them tonight. I hope to see her out with them tomorrow. There is food and water right outside the nest at chick height.
I have two full size black Cochins. One of them raised a clutch last year and was a fabulous mom. I thought this was the same girl, but upon a closer look at pics from last year, this is the other Cochin who has not raised chicks previously. I really do not need more chickens, but she was SO determined that I gave in.

Since she has been alone with the chicks now for 24 hours and everyone is still alive, can I let my guard down and consider this a success?

Since she has been alone with the chicks now for 24 hours and everyone is still alive, can I let my guard down and consider this a success?

Think so! I've only done it once, but I managed to integrate two 5-day old bantams in with my broody and her 3-day old chick! I kept an eye on them for the first few hours, and after the first night I knew it would be fine.

One chick took a while to bond with mum, it wouldn't go to her for warmth - I had to place it under a few times. It then took a few days to fully bond with her and follow her clucks/call her for warmth. The other 5-day old took to her new mum within hours and was already pecking at her beak/food within 2 hours of introduction! So don't worry if they take a few days to bond.

We are bonded and accepted!!! Thanks for the advice and reassurance! :wee

Attachments

• chicks.PNG
    chicks.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom