One day too much food the next they act like they are starving. What gives!?!

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
Around 8am and 4pm I do the feed rounds. The main flock can access 2-3 acres 24/7, the 3 chick grow out pens are all grassy and weedy but I always assume I am the only food source. Water is checked at least twice a day, often I check in with the chooks 4 or times a day.

Some warm/hot days they eat a little and others they act like they are starved; same same on the milder/cooler days. If I introduce a new food (eg different brand or FF or more grown up food) I still combine their traditional food for at least a few days. When the chicks are over 4-5 weeks I now introduce a feed trough and still provide their scratch around bowl and stone slab for a few days. It is going into summer here so days are longer.

The chickens refuse to speak to me in English so I have to adjust the second feed of the day to either a lot or almost nothing 'to stop the sparrows sponging off me.
roll.png
My methods are still new, any tips appreciated.

Okey dokey. It does make it difficult to figure out how not to waste feed or inadvertently not give enough for the chicks!

Around 8am and 4pm I do the feed rounds. The main flock can access 2-3 acres 24/7, the 3 chick grow out pens are all grassy and weedy but I always assume I am the only food source. Water is checked at least twice a day, often I check in with the chooks 4 or times a day.

Some warm/hot days they eat a little and others they act like they are starved; same same on the milder/cooler days. If I introduce a new food (eg different brand or FF or more grown up food) I still combine their traditional food for at least a few days. When the chicks are over 4-5 weeks I now introduce a feed trough and still provide their scratch around bowl and stone slab for a few days. It is going into summer here so days are longer.

The chickens refuse to speak to me in English so I have to adjust the second feed of the day to either a lot or almost nothing 'to stop the sparrows sponging off me.
roll.png
My methods are still new, any tips appreciated.
I keep my feed and water inside my Coop, free choice......I provide water as they free range.....Always a Bird running in and out of the Coop to eat the feed........

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom