one dead chicken and 3 more with bloody vents need help

chickenherders

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
The boys went out to feed and gather eggs and one hen in dead with a gaping bloody vent. After taking her out I noticed that two others have bloody backsides and noticed that it is coming from their vents. One more looks like it might just be starting. I haven't been out for a few days, but the boys haven't noticed anything before today either - of course this doesn't mean that it all happened in a day, the chicken herders are 6 and 8.

If it doesnt look like a physical injury i would seriously be thinking cocidiosis and would give them corid or amprolium. Corid wont hurt them and if you do a search on this forum for corid i think you put between eight and ten ml per gallon of water in their waterer. Treat them for five days straight. Definitely double check my figures first though before administering the dosage.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am pretty new to chickens so I can't be of much help... but I'll give you a bump and hopefully someone with more experience will answer you soon. Good luck with your girls.

Thanks for your input. I don't think this is vent pecking, although the other chickens are pecking at the affected chickens. I've been reading and I think it is coccidiosis. Looks like I didn't find it quickly, so I will go to the feed store and get the corid to treat. We will see what happens. We have had chickens for 6 years with much success, but we have had a lot of rain of late and moist conditions seem to add to the problem. The chicken herders are sad.

Last edited:
Hope the corid works. So sorry for your little chicken herders!
hugs.gif

My "chicken herder" is 5 and I would hate for her to find one of her chickens dead.

I am wondering about the eggs with the cocci and also while treating it with corid, Are the eggs OK to eat?

Back
Top Bottom