One dead guinea and the other barely alive! I think poison!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by daylily, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. daylily

    daylily Chillin' With My Peeps

    Please help with any info! My male guinea that was in new coop was found barely alive this morning the female is dead.

    After two hours of chest rubbing and holding him in the sun, plus pumping his legs we have been able to get him breathing more steadily. He is in his a cage and under a heat lamp now. He is making a peep now and then and passing a lot of gas! He has tried to stand a couple of times then has to rest. I have some Save a Chick electrolytes and some mixed in with some warm mash when he is more steady on his feet. Right now he is flopping around the cage every so often and not really awake.

    He reminds me of someone coming out from under anesthesia. Any ideas on what to do now? I fed the other birds the same thing. It was some older pellets that I had left over and not their mash. The others did not eat theirs!

    Daylily
     
  2. ScaredOfShadows

    ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

    It could be botulism

    Copy and pasted info :


    Species affected: All fowl of any age, humans, and other animals are highly susceptible. The turkey vulture is the only animal host known to be resistant to the disease.

    Clinical signs: Botulism is a poisoning causing by eating spoiled food containing a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum . Paralysis, the most common clinical sign, occurs within a few hours after poisoned food is eaten. Pheasants with botulism remain alert, but paralyzed. Legs and wings become paralyzed, then the neck becomes limp. Neck feathers become loose in the follicle and can be pulled easily (see Table 3).
    If the amount eaten is lethal, prostration and death follow in 12 to 24 hours. Death is a result of paralysis of respiratory muscles. Fowl affected by sublethal doses become dull and sleepy.

    Transmission: Botulism is common in wild ducks and is a frequent killer of waterfowl because the organisms multiply in dead fish and decaying vegetation along shorelines.

    Decaying bird carcasses on poultry ranges, wet litter or other organic matter, and fly maggots from decaying substances may harbor botulism. There is no spread from bird to bird.

    Treatment: Remove spoiled feed or decaying matter. Flush the flock with Epsom salts (1 lb/1000 hens) in water or in wet mash. It has been reported that potassium permanganate (1:3000) in the drinking water is helpful. Affected birds can be treated with botulism antitoxin injections.

    Prevention: Incinerate or bury dead birds promptly. Do not feed spoiled canned vegetables. Control flies. Replace suspected feed.
     
  3. daylily

    daylily Chillin' With My Peeps

    That sound very similar! He is not awake enough to eat or drink the electrolytes. Some signs of paralysis has been noted but we just kept working his feet and neck and he has good blood flow. Seems as though he is waking from an anesthetic. He has tried to stand a couple of times. Okay I just gave him ! ML of Save A chick. He was thirsty. He does have some saliva dropping from mouth when sleeping.

     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by