One dead hen, 4 bare butts - blu kote?hotpick? pine tar?

Lisa, if you use bag balm use it sparingly in cold weather. She might permit Caldescene (medicated baby powder), or even medicated hand lotion. Just be sure she doesn't chill. I'd be inclined to try Blu-Kote or No-Peck on the spot she irritated. The other thing is that the more attention you draw to the problem area the more she may fuss. Try to get it done and ignore her.

I like the Miss Prissy application method for powders- put in the foot of old panty hose and tie off. The dust hen while you hold her on your lap- a powder puff of medication. If you have any reason to think pests, use mixture of Sevin and food-grade DE, as she suggests.

Last edited:
I just ordered a bottle of Pick No More. So is this a bad habit, like biting your fingernails? I was really surprised that she upped the picking after putting on pine tar. I expected that to be a repellent. I know I feel trapped during the winter. I guess she could be bored. And their run space is smaller because I have straw bales piled up as a windbreak across from the coop door. The flock has been running up and down the bales like an obstacle course so I wasn't thinking that they felt cramped in the run.

Where can you get the kind of pine tar to use on the hens hindys? At TSC? I have blue kote and if that not enough, I will go for the pine tar. Also, please tell me what BOSS is. I dont remember. I am located in northern Indiana. (We have a TSC located up here) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom