One disaster after another...

Athiena14

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
So I thought losing one to cold was bad enough. Something broke into the coop. I thought I had all of the seams perfect but things prove me wrong. It almost makes me regret doing something home made. I fixed the issue and putting up a gametrail cam. I'm hoping the fox I had been trapping for during the winter didn't come up to the house. Any natural deturant? I mainly got feral cats which I can set up live traps if they are the issue. I'm down to 2 out of 5 I had left after the one died. It ate 3 of them last night or maybe one or two got away. There were feathers around.

I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand how awful this feels. This does not sound like a feral cat to me. Were there just feathers left or some carcass too? Can you tell where the varmint broke in? If you are relying on chicken wire to defend your chickens you are going to be more disappointed. Raccoons, foxes, bear, weasels, bob cats, can all defeat chicken wire in some way or another. It is only useful for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. I dont know where you are located but you may need to invest in much stronger defenses. Make sure your coop is protected from underneath as well as from above and all the way around. Weasels can get into a space as small as two inches so a good quality hardwire cloth is always a good idea. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING loves to eat chicken, you just have keep trying to outsmart the beasts. Good luck. There are some really good articles on here about the best ways to defend your coop.

I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand how awful this feels. This does not sound like a feral cat to me. Were there just feathers left or some carcass too? Can you tell where the varmint broke in? If you are relying on chicken wire to defend your chickens you are going to be more disappointed. Raccoons, foxes, bear, weasels, bob cats, can all defeat chicken wire in some way or another. It is only useful for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. I dont know where you are located but you may need to invest in much stronger defenses. Make sure your coop is protected from underneath as well as from above and all the way around. Weasels can get into a space as small as two inches so a good quality hardwire cloth is always a good idea. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING loves to eat chicken, you just have keep trying to outsmart the beasts. Good luck. There are some really good articles on here about the best ways to defend your coop.
I live in Missouri in the middle of it. We have raccoons, foxes, and feral cats. There were only feathers and a clump of feathers and skin. I found the spot. It was a weak spot between the two parts of the wire and I reinforced it so it wasn't weak.

I
Sorry abut the losses, how are they getting in? Do you have hardware cloth on the ground to prevent digging?

I put the wire underneath too there's still space where they can scratch but if something digs underneath they have to deal with the wire.

Back
Top Bottom