One down hope there are not many more:

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BarefootMom, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the guy that killed this big guy also has killed 3 coyotes in the past week! So glad he is having fun and helping out with our problems. All my chickens free range [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Beautiful cat. Shame they're so deadly to the chickens, isn't it?

3. ZACH '96

ZACH '96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes very beautiful cat, im a cat person myself, and it does seem a shame that it had to die...
    but i also understand that you cannot be feeding th wildlife with your chickens... most of the predators that affect poultry here in Oz are introduced, Red Fox etc... but when the native things (assuming bobcats are native to your area?) are the problem i prefer to protect the birds better, than not protecting them (with walls and a roof) and killing things that try to take advanage of the situation... after all they are just looking for a meal [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]
    Zach

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    yes they are native. They also get small calves and other livestock. They are becoming quite a problem along with mountain lions. Oh yes it is beautiful and I think the hunter is going to have it mounted. But 30 yards is a bit too close for comfort.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I agree very beautiful and what a shame that it was a killer of your livestock. I just got another coon last night.No big cats in my area though I did see a fox down the road once.My mom loves her resident red fox. I would too if I did not have pets and livestock.

6. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    WOW [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad those aren't coming on my property! One night this summer my 7 year old and I were checking the birds and putting everyone to bed. As we were walking up to the tree lined drainway that runs through our property we heard some coyotees yipping and scuffling around on the other side of the drainway. Scary stuff in the dark. I yelled and they ran off. I hear they are very difficult to shoot. Glad you found someone to help you out. My husband dearly wants to get one, but it will have to wait until we have a house out at the farm. Now we always ride the four wheeler to scare them off. The only thing he won't shoot is the red fox. I agree that they are just so rare and beautiful, but I may change my mind if I ever had a loss from one. Knock on wood we have only ever had a loss from a stray cat that isn't around anymore. It kept spraying the horse hay where we poison the rats and mice. My guess it ate something besides chickens.

7. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    you should get it stuffed at a taxidermist that would look cool!!!

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Shooting a coyote is not the problem, getting a bead on um is. Most times you never see them when you want. That is when the gun's handy.

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

What a beauty. I'd stuff her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by