One duck has lost its ever loving mind

nennings

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
ME again...
Our 3 buff ducks are doing great! They are outside and loving it! 3 months old. But one of them is SO loud! Like :duc! As soon as anyone is outside...even out front when they can't see you but I guess can hear the door open...she goes nuts. And forget it if she looks up and is then reminded you are not in her sight. The other two just happily chatter and dont do that. I can't imagine the neighbors are happy....I mean I knew they would make tons of noise but I didn't think it would be because of wanting to be in eye sight ALL.THE.TIME. Anything I can do...or am doing wrong? My kids said tonight we ought to put our pics in their pen lol. I thought it was just because they know that they are left out when we come outside but this whole need to see you thing is more than that. Even when we are on our pool deck....literally 5 feet up away from her....ahhhhhh!!!!

Last edited:
That's why I now keep muscovy. All that crazy quacking can drive you nutty some days. Hopefully someone who currently keeps them has an idea.

I don't know much about chickens making a lot on noise. If she was the only hen I would say she is lonely, but seeing that she's not... The only thing I can think of doing is the next time she starts squawking yell in her face. "SHUP UP!". I am kidding. Don't do that. I don't really know what to do for her. It might help if you could post a video of her " talking". Good luck!

Your duck ( or is it a chicken?) kind of reminds me of that old stalker song " Call me maybe" "

I find myself saying 'what do you freaking want" lolol...my kids have reminded me "mom, they dont speak English" :p

ME again...
Our 3 buff ducks are doing great! They are outside and loving it! 3 months old. But one of them is SO loud! Like :duc! As soon as anyone is outside...even out front when they can't see you but I guess can hear the door open...she goes nuts. And forget it if she looks up and is then reminded you are not in her sight. The other two just happily chatter and dont do that. I can't imagine the neighbors are happy....I mean I knew they would make tons of noise but I didn't think it would be because of wanting to be in eye sight ALL.THE.TIME. Anything I can do...or am doing wrong? My kids said tonight we ought to put our pics in their pen lol. I thought it was just because they know that they are left out when we come outside but this whole need to see you thing is more than that. Even when we are on our pool deck....literally 5 feet up away from her....ahhhhhh!!!!

Hi @nennings ! :frow

From what you describe it obviously sounds like the duck has become accustomed to your presence, did you just recently transition them outside, if so, that may have caused some unneeded stress on her part. I'm guessing the other two ducks might be males, therefore they would be unable to quack, males sound very raspy so arent really loud as the females are. However annoying it may be, it may just take her a while to wean off your presence.

Hi @nennings ! :frow

From what you describe it obviously sounds like the duck has become accustomed to your presence, did you just recently transition them outside, if so, that may have caused some unneeded stress on her part. I'm guessing the other two ducks might be males, therefore they would be unable to quack, males sound very raspy so arent really loud as the females are. However annoying it may be, it may just take her a while to wean off your presence.

Thay have been out for a few weeks.....and were all supposed to be female. At least that's what we ordered. Oh no!! No neighbors have complained yet so until then....we will just keep on keeping on :)

Back
Top Bottom