One duck left with chickens

DucksNHens

Hatching
Jul 8, 2022
I have a backyard coop that originally had 6 chickens and 2 ducks. We raised them since they hatched. The ducks were in one brute and the chickens in another, but once they were old enough to go outside, they’ve all been together in the same coop.
Today my two dogs got into the coop and killed 1 chicken and 1 duck.. I cannot stress enough how guilty I feel, as I know ducks need another companion. My question is, will the duck find companionship in the chickens since they have been on the same coop together for 3 months, or will she fall into a deep depression without her other duck 💔

I have a backyard coop that originally had 6 chickens and 2 ducks. We raised them since they hatched. The ducks were in one brute and the chickens in another, but once they were old enough to go outside, they’ve all been together in the same coop.
Today my two dogs got into the coop and killed 1 chicken and 1 duck.. I cannot stress enough how guilty I feel, as I know ducks need another companion. My question is, will the duck find companionship in the chickens since they have been on the same coop together for 3 months, or will she fall into a deep depression without her other duck 💔
Some would be fine with chicken companionship, but not all. Honestly it depends on the individual duck and their circumstances in their life.

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. :hugs
For now I'd say the chickens are much better than nothing. Being around them will be better than being alone, no doubt. But talking longterm, ducks need companionship- chickens just dont speak the same language or share the same interests. She needs a ducky friend, as soon as is possible- She'll be far happier. 3 is generally a good number for ducks, it means that if anything happens to one, the remaining duck wont be alone.
Is this possible for you to do?
In the meanwhile, I would spoil her with plenty of treats and TLC. Mirrors often help with loneliness, but since she has the chickens I'm not sure it's really necessary, worth a shot if she seems depressed though.

I have the same problem ( kind of) we went to cedar point and bought we had someone that would make sure our chickens and ducks were in the chicken coop but did not.. came home to both my female ducks gone and my only rooster ( which he was beautiful) and our onr kitten!! Coons or something came in and got them..I felt so guilty too and I'll never leave again and if I do I'll make sure for sure I have somebody... Anyway so we got one male duck he's still with us and he has been getting along and walking around actually with one of the chickens just one but he's really depressed he don't want to eat ..he picks around at the yard but he don't eat his food when I put him in the chicken coop at night.... he's getting skinnier.. I have been looking for a female for him but I can't seem to find an adult female for some reason... I ended up getting six ducks but they're babies so I don't know what we will end up with but that's too long to wait for them to grow up to be with him... But I feel if I don't find him a female soon ..I don't know what he'll do.. he's just very sad.. too bad your female and my male couldn't hook up...lol just wanted you to know about my mail and him being so lonely.. it's been a couple weeks but you can just tell he's depressed and sad!!!

Back
Top Bottom