One duck not laying and shells are thin

newchickontheblock

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
We have 2 Pekin gals and one Mallard Drake. They are a year old and the gals have been laying 1 egg a day consistantly for 7 months. Just in the past few weeks we are only getting 1 egg every morning. About 2 days a week we will get 2 eggs. I have noticed that the eggs we do get have thinner shells and are usually cracked by the time we pull them in the morning. I have addded additional bedding to their nest but that does not help. Their food has not changed. We have never had ducks before so I am stumped. I have heard molting will halt egg production but I do not see any signs of molting. Are there any signs I should be looking for? Is this normal? Thanks!!

I have read that you should give them some small grit, not oyster shell as that can cause too much calcium deposit and deform their bones?

If their shells are thin, they may need to have a bowl of oyster shell free choice. Also, hot weather will thin outthe shells and if they are at the end of a laying cycle, it will slow egglaying. It is perfectly normal for hot weather to affect egglaying. Plus they are taking a break.

that is good to know Terrie. I was afraid my ducks wouldn't ever stop laying. They have had four nests and you know how prolific muscovies are !

Back
Top Bottom