One duck not laying and shells are thin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newchickontheblock, Jul 6, 2008.

1. newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    We have 2 Pekin gals and one Mallard Drake. They are a year old and the gals have been laying 1 egg a day consistantly for 7 months. Just in the past few weeks we are only getting 1 egg every morning. About 2 days a week we will get 2 eggs. I have noticed that the eggs we do get have thinner shells and are usually cracked by the time we pull them in the morning. I have addded additional bedding to their nest but that does not help. Their food has not changed. We have never had ducks before so I am stumped. I have heard molting will halt egg production but I do not see any signs of molting. Are there any signs I should be looking for? Is this normal? Thanks!!

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have read that you should give them some small grit, not oyster shell as that can cause too much calcium deposit and deform their bones?

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If their shells are thin, they may need to have a bowl of oyster shell free choice. Also, hot weather will thin outthe shells and if they are at the end of a laying cycle, it will slow egglaying. It is perfectly normal for hot weather to affect egglaying. Plus they are taking a break.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    that is good to know Terrie. I was afraid my ducks wouldn't ever stop laying. They have had four nests and you know how prolific muscovies are !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by