One duckling- and very early

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
My eggs are due to hatch but this little gal hatched Wednesday before lockdown even started! Her membrane had issues and she had a really hard time hatching. The other two eggs that tried hatching when she did but they didn't make it. She doesn't seem like she was ready to hatch. She's finally getting to where she can walk a bit but one leg is so splayed she has a hard time. She's gotten stronger and stronger though- I thought she was a goner at first. But she is all alone- how hard will it be on her to be by herself? I have other ducklings but some are almost a month old and the tigers are 6 weeks so they'll catch up with my adult flock long before she's ready to go with them. Any ideas? She's already much more "people friendly" than any other duckling I've had. Is she doomed to be a pet duck or will she survivor being alone and one day be able to successfully integrate with the flock?

And here's a pic

Do you still have eggs to hatch? She'll be happier with friends, close in age to her. If she's the only one to hatch, I'd see if I could locate another duckling or two similar in age so she has somebody to grow up with and not be duck lonely.
A month difference in new ducklings is huge and she'd likely not do so well with the month olds - she's too small for them.

That's what I thought- even the ones that are 2 weeks apart have issues. I do have eggs still in the incubator but I'm not sure if they will hatch. The three I've seen have membrane issues. I've had shrink wrapped eggs before and have managed to save them but I think these are sticky? So I have no idea. This is my third duck egg hatch but my first in a cabinet incubator. I seem to be doing worse in it than the styrofoam! I've done really well with quail so I almost wonder if it's the eggs? Another question for another post ANYWAY I've looked on Craigslist and I haven't seen ducklings right now. I wish the hatcheries were open! Poor little gal is alone a lot but so happy to be held. My 2 year old named her Water.

Back
Top Bottom