one duckling???? Need some help....

Quote:
You are right, it is VERY time consuming. My girls hatched about 150 ducklings this year and it almost killed me. It was way too much for me to handle but I did it but NEVER again. I literally spent hundreds of hours caring for them beginning at 6:00 AM every morning and AFTER getting off from work at 5:30 PM and not ending the animal chores until 9:00 PM and sometimes later EVERY night. It's a part time job. There are NO holidays or days off. I will never make that mistake again EVER.

I think 1 duckling would be good to have.

My lesson learned - NO MORE DUCKS EGGS WILL BE HATCHED for the next 5 years.
barnie.gif

NOT ONLY THAT BUT LOOK HOW MANY CHICKENS SHE HAS!!!! and other livestock to boot
smile.png
bow.gif

i bet you spend a pretty penny each time you go buy feed.. lol

Quote:
You are right, it is VERY time consuming. My girls hatched about 150 ducklings this year and it almost killed me. It was way too much for me to handle but I did it but NEVER again. I literally spent hundreds of hours caring for them beginning at 6:00 AM every morning and AFTER getting off from work at 5:30 PM and not ending the animal chores until 9:00 PM and sometimes later EVERY night. It's a part time job. There are NO holidays or days off. I will never make that mistake again EVER.

I think 1 duckling would be good to have.

My lesson learned - NO MORE DUCKS EGGS WILL BE HATCHED for the next 5 years.
barnie.gif

NOT ONLY THAT BUT LOOK HOW MANY CHICKENS SHE HAS!!!! and other livestock to boot
smile.png
bow.gif

i bet you spend a pretty penny each time you go buy feed.. lol

Well the penny is not a pretty penny. Actually it's an ugly penny that I spend.
lau.gif
hit.gif

you guys dont have to worry about me not having enough room lol. We have 22 acres, so room is no problem. I talked to my mom about it and said she had no problem. Feed is not a problem either. The market for ducks is WONDERFUL ........ Well, its pretty good. There is usually people looking for ducks. I dont think ill have a problem selling them. I still need to think about this too. I kinda just wanted a pet. But if its gonna be mean, then never mind and I will sell them all....

Are you going to raise all the ducklings together and then sell them when they're older? If so, it might be OK to pick out just one to keep when they're older. Or, maybe you can convince your mom that you will sell some of the adult ducks as a trade off for keeping a couple more ducklings.

Quote:
So what made her change her mind from saying only one duckling to her not having a problem now?

What do you mean? She said she doesnt have a problem if I keep one. Im just confused to what you mean?

Quote:
Im replacing the khakis with anconas.

I am just going to say honestly what I think: I love having animals just like the next person who is just like me. But as you will get older (your a young teen as I remember) things change, life changes, you leave home, and etc. I would strongly suggest you step back and really think about what type of breed is for me? How many can I afford? How much will the pens cost? If I breed and can't sell will I cull the ones that won't go? How will I pay for all these ducks?

Keeping a pet shouldn't be on a whim its a commitment, your jumping around getting more ducks, trying to rehome some to get a different breed really shows that you really need to sit down and maybe talk with your parent about what's best.

I hope my daughter has the same excitment about animals as you when she's old enough, but I also want her to know her limits. I think your mom is just trying to make you realize you already have ducks focus on them until you really have a good plan.

Quote:
Im replacing the khakis with anconas.

I am just going to say honestly what I think: I love having animals just like the next person who is just like me. But as you will get older (your a young teen as I remember) things change, life changes, you leave home, and etc. I would strongly suggest you step back and really think about what type of breed is for me? How many can I afford? How much will the pens cost? If I breed and can't sell will I cull the ones that won't go? How will I pay for all these ducks?

Keeping a pet shouldn't be on a whim its a commitment, your jumping around getting more ducks, trying to rehome some to get a different breed really shows that you really need to sit down and maybe talk with your parent about what's best.

I hope my daughter has the same excitment about animals as you when she's old enough, but I also want her to know her limits. I think your mom is just trying to make you realize you already have ducks focus on them until you really have a good plan.

You are all very true, and right. I was just excited about having a new duckling (or two) bred from my own ducks, but I really should think about this more, and step back, and notice my limits, thank you so much guys
hugs.gif
you all helped me soooooooooooooo much! And I just realized that you are just trying to help me, even though I REALLY wanted to keep one, I didnt want to have any of what you guys were saying till RIGHT now. Thanks again
hugs.gif
!

Back
Top Bottom