one duckling???? Need some help....

Who said anything about a house duck? My duck was in the brooder which was in the house where it was nice and warm. They are suppose to be kept warm in a brooder if their not with a duck mom till they get feathers i just kept him inside for a little longer than most people do and that was at night when it was 40-50 degrees. ~Lucky got to swim in a small amount of luke warm water & as he got a little older i increased the size of the pool(which isn't on the list of important things for ducks) ~ He got to free range on the grass/front yard. ~He even had toys.. a rubber duck in his pool which he loves to push around with his bill. Even a little stuffed ducky that quacks when you squeeze it. }}}}And i guess you think ducks shouldn't wear diapers either? lmao No he didn't wear diapers but i did think about it. There are people who do use them on their ducks though. Lucky in the baby brooder...
75632_dsc01146.jpg
Lucky in a larger brooder..
75632_julies_2011_390.jpg
Another picture of the same brooder..
75632_dsc01326.jpg
Lucky when he went outside during the day...
75632_julies_2011_388.jpg
Lucky advanced to bigger pool when he went outside to play/on the grass...
75632_4-27-11goldencascaderouen_219.jpg
See just 1 duckling without any siblings, and still did the duck things.
thumbsup.gif
~Julie~

Quote:
He is adorable, my lone duckling was raised by me in the house because his mama rejected him, most know this. He went outside at 3 months to live with all the rest. but was with them from about a week old till now. what I mean was he was around the other ducks and chickens but lived in the house. He has made the transition to their world without any problems other than we went through about a week of him wanting to challenge me for dominance. but we have worked that out. They do require alot of attention, but He did great as an only duck, He still comes in the house when the door is open, but really likes being with his own kind. I think he was confused as to his place, I really think he thought he was a puppy being he was around my dogs more when he was little. I think we have to do whats best for them and seeing him interact with his new friends has been the best for him, I didn't chose to raise him inside it just worked out that way. But if someone wants just 1 duckling I don't see a problem with it, except you have to be dedicated to it for all it's life.

Thank you DUCKGIRL89 and Miss Lydia.. Yes it is quite a chore and a lot of dedication put into one single pet, well worth every minute. This was my first time hatching an egg in the incubator(eggs either wouldn't be fertile or if they finally were fertile i would have bad temp spikes and even had them not hatch soon enough and die b/c i didn't know about helping them.) This was a real learning experiene. This is what Lucky looks like now...
75632_newcoop_426.jpg
75632_newcoop_434.jpg
In the last picture, Lucky is the one on the left. He is chasing his dad(fighting with him). ~Julie~

Aaaawww, how sweet! I dont think I will keep just one or even any now
hit.gif
I want to but I feel it would be bad for the baby...

Why do you think socializing with other ducks is such a huge thing?? }}}I'm just saying it's NOT Cruel for a person to raise just 1 single duckling by itself if that has to be the case. ~Cruel is to neglect and not feed or keep your duckling/duck locked in a small cage all the time with no room to roam and play. When i give my ducklings away i first make sure people are a ware of feeding and that its a Must that they have fresh water to drink ALL THE TIME. And yes, I do try to encourage for them to take 2 ducklings at the same time to keep each other company. I do feel that having 2 ducks really doesn't cost too much more than just having the 1 duck. ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom