one egg, two shell-less and a week later nothing?

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
Is this normal?

One pullet layed a nice little brown egg about a week ago and two layed shell-less eggs at that time.

The pullets are 24-25wks old. They free range during the day from 8am and roost around 7pm.

My hens slow down a lot this time of year. Try feeding crumbles and oyster shell, if you do not already. Sometimes first eggs do not always come out right. What kind of chickens are they?

I am feeding crumbles and oyster shells along with any egg shells I have. They are just now 22 wks old. I have a mixed breed of ladies and four EE's.

These are my first attempt at chickens, some friends gave me some eggs to hatch. I am enjoying having them on the farm. I am probably just over anxious.

It will get better! When my girls started laying, my first egg was normal, then I had what seemed forever of soft shelled eggs. It lasted a couple weeks for me I think. They were the Barred Rocks that started first and it was their eggs. Now I get an egg almost every day from each of my girls.

So just wait, I know it seems like it takes forever, but it won't be long.

hugs.gif

Your hens are laying at 22 weeks? That's really good. The eggs will get better. My hen are going to bed about 6pm now. It must stay light a little longer where you are at. It's pretty dark about 6:45pm now.
Keep us posted when they lay more eggs!! Do your EE's lay green eggs?

Last edited:
I have only got one little brown egg so far and two that were shell-less laying on the floor.

I tell them each morning that I want eggs, but they are not cooperating.
smile.png

I know they lay at 18-25 wks so they are still young and its getting colder here. They do head inside around 6:00-6:30, i just dont usually get out there till around 7:00-7:30 to lock them up and they are roosting then. I don't like this getting dark early stuff.

I sure hope my EE's lay some green eggs, they were hatched from large green eggs. Most of the eggs I hatched from the mixed breeds were brown. One smaller hen has feathery feet, she is a bantie cross.

yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

The ladies layed two nice brown eggs today...in the nesting boxes. Maybe its a sign of more to come

of course hubby bought store eggs yesterday
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom