One eye closed and lethargic?

stephg84

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
I noticed this morning one of our 3 month old bielfelders was lethargic, and her left eye was closed. She opens it sometimes, and it looks normal when it’s open.

I have quarantined her and brought her inside (it’s been 95ish degrees here the past few days) and set her up with water with vitamins and electrolytes. I gave her some scrambled egg and some Greek yogurt and she has perked up a tiny bit.

Any ideas what it could be and treatment options? Thanks!

Attachments

• 78DD88D9-6223-475A-A1E0-02E04352A6BC.jpeg
    78DD88D9-6223-475A-A1E0-02E04352A6BC.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 4
You could try flushing the eye with saline or some Vetericyn eye wash. I would watch it to see if any bubbles or drainage appears. Does she have any other symptoms, and is she miving around normally? Make sure that she is finding her food and water.

You could try flushing the eye with saline or some Vetericyn eye wash. I would watch it to see if any bubbles or drainage appears. Does she have any other symptoms, and is she miving around normally? Make sure that she is finding her food and water.

She’s very lethargic, and not really drinking water. Whenever I offer her yogurt though she will eat it.

Poultry NutriDrench 1-2 ml given a drop at a time might give a boost. You may need to try and learn to tube feed her, or slowly try to dip her beak into some fluids. Mixing a lit of water into a small bowl of chick feed (add a little yogurt to make it more interesting) might be appealing. Scrambled egg or tuna with a little water added is another thing that might be tempting.

Is she having any runny poops or any blood in them? Does her crop feel like there is any food in it?

Poultry NutriDrench 1-2 ml given a drop at a time might give a boost. You may need to try and learn to tube feed her, or slowly try to dip her beak into some fluids. Mixing a lit of water into a small bowl of chick feed (add a little yogurt to make it more interesting) might be appealing. Scrambled egg or tuna with a little water added is another thing that might be tempting.

Is she having any runny poops or any blood in them? Does her crop feel like there is any food in it?

Good ideas! No poops that I’ve seen yet since I quarantined her. I just gave her some watermelon and she’s going to town on that, wanted to make sure she got something hydrating.

I’ve never felt a crop before for anything. Hers feels like smaller than a golf ball, when I touch it she doesn’t make any uncomfortable noises or flinch or anything.

My advice may be unrelated, but one of my 4mo EE got hit by some (small but hard) falling debris, and she was doing the same thing with her one eye, and was making funny noises... she ran away and stood facing a tree and then refused to move. Really scared me.

We brought her in overnight for observation and she was back to normal in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom