One eye is missing feathers and swollen

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
4ACC2071-6B1E-4D49-B0EB-72CFECCD66F9.jpeg
hi,

I noticed one eye is missing feathers. And swollen. I didn’t see any pecking at the chicken.
We let them free range.

I am still new at this. I put some antibiotic cream on it.
How do you treat?
I am going to watch to make sure it isn’t being a pecking injury.
I did see wasps in the meadow but that isn’t near them.

Thank you! She or he is only 9 weeks old.
I posted 2 pictures. One eye is fine and the other looks injured and swollen.

Attachments

• FCF997B2-17A9-4F30-A030-4EF711854483.jpeg
    FCF997B2-17A9-4F30-A030-4EF711854483.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 7
Looks like she could be scratching, first thing I would do is check for mites or lice, they love the head and vent areas, if you see any signs of them, it will be treat all the flock members, would recommend using a mask and long sleeve clothing, then remove all bedding in the nesting boxes/coop and treat the walls boxes and roosts, repeat in 7-10 days for any hatching eggs if you found indications of them.
The hen that has swelling would benefit from a saline rinse of the area and application of vertycin(SP) eye ointment

I noticed one eye is missing feathers. And swollen.

I am still new at this. I put some antibiotic cream on it.
How do you treat?
I am going to watch to make sure it isn’t being a pecking injury.

She or he is only 9 weeks old.
Don't you just love those eyes :love Enjoy the greenish color for now, they will likely turn a beautiful Bay color. (can't help it, got to love the Rocks:))

Now...back to the swelling. Hard to tell if there are some bubbles in the corner of that eye? She may have gotten stung by a wasp. I would keep watch for a couple of days to see if it gets better/worse/stays the same. If it get worse and you notice bubbles or pus forming in the eye, then likely it's infection - a number of causes there too - respiratory illness or getting debris in the eye are a couple.

For general eye care - flush with saline, remove any debris, pus, etc. that you see and apply an eye ointment or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Like you have been doing.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Don't you just love those eyes :love Enjoy the greenish color for now, they will likely turn a beautiful Bay color. (can't help it, got to love the Rocks:))

Now...back to the swelling. Hard to tell if there are some bubbles in the corner of that eye? She may have gotten stung by a wasp. I would keep watch for a couple of days to see if it gets better/worse/stays the same. If it get worse and you notice bubbles or pus forming in the eye, then likely it's infection - a number of causes there too - respiratory illness or getting debris in the eye are a couple.

For general eye care - flush with saline, remove any debris, pus, etc. that you see and apply an eye ointment or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Like you have been doing.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Do you keep triple antibiotic out of the eye or is okay to get a little on the eye?
Thanks for the help!

Hi
Is this something you buy online?

I have saline solution and antibiotic ointment the kind you get in the people’s skin first aid. I kept it out of her or his eye.
you can get online or at most farm stores. if your using a human one make sure it doesn't have any pain reliever in it as that can be detrimental to your chicken

Do you keep triple antibiotic out of the eye or is okay to get a little on the eye?
Thanks for the help!
A lot of people use plain triple antibiotic ointment in the eye too, it won't hurt if some gets into the eye. Of course you want to keep your tube as clean as possible. What I do is put what I think I'm going to use on a piece of waxed paper or similar. Then put away the tube (always handled with clean/washed hands). Then...take the paper with ointment to the chicken, apply with clean hands or even a qtip. That's me though.

Vetericyn makes an eye wash or gel that can be used in the eye. If you want an antibiotic opthlamic ointment you can use Terramycin. You should be able to find both at Tractor Supply. The Terramycin is a very small tube, they may have it locked in the case or you may have to ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom