One-eyed chicken

FlowerFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
My blue laced red wyandotte pullet just lost an eye.
She seems to be getting around fine, but is still a little slow (and easy to catch).
smile.png
She's able to eat and perch too.

Any advice on One-eyed hens?
She's expected to start laying eggs within the next month! Although now I'm thinking she may not lay at all?
Will the other 3 girls pick on her?
Guess I'm not quite sure what to expect with this eye issue. Thanks for your imput.

1 blue laced red wyandotte
1 silver laced wyandotte
1 buff orpington
1 new hampshire

I had a one-eyed cream brabanter rooster. He was born with a strange eye that he could never see out of. He did just fine. Of course they will look at things with the good eye, and it really looks funny (sorry) when they run because they always have their head turned so they can see where they're going. Nobody picked on him.....

He was born that way, so maybe it was easy for him, but your little hen will take time to adjust to her handicap, but I'll bet she will be fine.

I have two chickens with one eye...the rooster was born that way, has a crooked beak too but still can crow! The hen lost hers to an infection. After I cleared that up she is just fine, a little unsteady at times, but does really well for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom