One Eye's not opened

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NancyinAlaska, Jan 27, 2010.

1. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    One of the chicks that hatched yesterday had an eye that's closed. This is the one that I thought would die, wet and kind of bloody on the bottom 1/2. When I put it into the brooder this afternoon after it dried off all the way,I tried to clean off some of that, it's NOT pasty butt, so what was really hard, I left it alone. Being the savior of all........................ if I can do something for it, I'd like to at least try. So any thoughts, cures, ideas will be appreciated, just don't suggest culling..............THANKS!![​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It sounds like the navel. If so, then the hard stuff you are talking about is either blood or the intestines. These chicks almost always die; I've never seen one that didn't. I have seen them live up to 3 or 4 days though before they do. There is nothing to do but wait. saladin

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    How is the chick doing now? You could take a cotton ball dipped in really warm water and try soaking her eye a little bit. It may just be stuck shut. I had one that way. I'm not sure about the bottom end hopefully someone else will have an answer for that.

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Pictures would help. Yes warm moist compress to the eye will help. sounds like an underdeveloped chickie!

5. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    THANKS EVERYONE!! It seems to be doing better this morning, eye is OPEN!!!!! [​IMG] one dead in the brooder though, I'd noticed it just wasn't getting through the shell and the membrane was really dry, after watching all day, I helped, a piece of membrane was actually stuck to the chick and it had little sores all over from getting so dry,I guess from opening the brooder to take out all the other chicks, was ok at 5 am, now at 10am was dead. My 1st hatch, 23 chicks alive, one dead, 7 infertile eggs.........and the hatch is like the energizer bunny, it's just keeps on going, [​IMG] got new ones starting, won't turn the brooder off until Saturday..........just in case. [​IMG] I'd say pretty good for a 1st timer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by