one female coturnix...never lays an egg

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
ok, so i've gt this one female, she's about 4-5 months old now, i got them right after my join date, so however long that is...i have NEVER recieved an egg from her this whole time, all the other females have been laying non stop.

i will post a picture of her tomorrow during the day, anyone got any thoughts on this?

yea, probably gonna do that, i have never gotten anything from her except money loss lol....i got 6 males i'm gonna be chopping down here soon, she might go in with the mix

Well, if you are sure she is a hen, and she doesn't lay any eggs, then I would cull her with the roos. Sometimes Galliforme hens can loose their left ovary, and do some strange things....even crow.

Quote:
x2. MMmmm. Quail
droolin.gif

Although females hatch with 2 ovaries and 2 oviduct, they loose their right ovary as they mature and their right oviduct shrivel and disappear. Maybe Joe is right that there is some thing wrong with the left one OR she has some hormone imbalance. If she isn't doing her job, it's your choice what you want to do
smile.png

Quote:
I've been reading about sex changes in chickens and if quails are anything similar, what happens is they have two ovaries, but only use the left one for egg production, sometimes something happens and that ovary no longer functions, so they have to use the right one, which for some reason produces excess amounts of testosterone, which is what cause all the changes in the birds (e.g. cease egg production, changes in the feather patterns and other behavioural changes such as the crowing)
big_smile.png

Quote:
I found this article, it's not very long and scientific, but I am having trouble finding the Journal article I was reading before about it. I will have a look and see if I can find more info on it later, though.

Here is the link: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKChange.html

I
find the feather site quite a useful website for some things. It has a list of loads of different breeds of chickens. Not sure about quail, but I'm just going to check that now
big_smile.png
Hope this is okay for you. I promise to post again if I find anything more about this.

Back
Top Bottom