One fluffy 1-2 day old chick, no other pips or rocking that I can tell - first time broody hatch!

foxy2320

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Oregon
So I let my broody do her thing, it was actually more of a group effort as three broodies were taking turns on three nests. I've been candling along the way (when mama will let me), and in all the shuffling we lost a few at different stages due to unknowing layers stepping on them. It took me a few days to realize she was broody, so I don't know when she started setting and how many eggs she started at first. Once I realized she was broody I marked all the eggs so I would know of any new ones to remove. Flash forward a few weeks, we have one darling little fluffy chick that wasn't out Thursday afternoon, but was nice and fluffy by Friday morning (yesterday). I candled 4-5 eggs yesterday and saw definite movement in at least three, but at this stage it's hard to see much anyway. I tried to put food and water in for the chick yesterday but the bigger birds chowed down on it. I don't have another place to move, and I'm afraid to disrupt this broody and have her abandon the nest as I don't have an incubator, and I think she would put up quite a fight to start with anyway.

So now to the question. I have a 1-2 day old chick, and on the eggs I got to look at this morning I didn't see any pips, but mama came charging back in and wouldn't let me look at the rest. I don't know if they're just staggered a few days, or if this one was just early. She's been pretty good about getting rid of the eggs that aren't going to make it (as I said above we've lost a few along the way). So do I wait it out? Do I put food and water out for the chick? I've heard that eggs can take a little longer under a broody than in an incubator, and I'm not 100% sure what day it is, but we do have a fluffy little chick and I don't want it to starve/be lonely, but I also don't want mama to abandon the nest as she still sees potential in these eggs! My other two broodys are sitting on nests that are not nearly as far developed, so I don't want to move any eggs at this point. Any and all advice is appreciated!!!!

I know chicks can last 72 hours with out food or water. Can you make alittle mesh box (use 2 inch chicken wire) like an upside down milkcrate and just put it over a bowl of chick crumble and alittle wterer-- the hens wont be able to fit but the chick will, if you are concerned- and it might be handy too for the future. My last broody sat for 3 days after she hatched out her chicks (gives time for any latecomers to come out) but i wouldnt wait past that-- she needs to get out and take care of the chick and herself...

So I just went to check on everyone, and mama and baby were on the coop floor, so I stuck the food and water back in. Before long, mama was gobbling it up, then a few hens and my alpha roo jumped in too. One of the hens started chasing and pecking the baby, so I kicked her when she got out and yelled at her, then my proud papa roo started doing it too, so I yelled at him and whacked him with a dried up weed when he got out. I'm thinking I need to get a new setup for the mama and babies, but I don't know where or how to do it. I was hoping they would be able to cohabitate together, as mama seems pretty protective, but I can't have the big ones pecking at a baby. As far as the eggs go, I could hear pecking in at least 2 of them, so we'll see.

Please help! If you think I need to move, I'm going to need some advice on that. Mama is super protective and won't let me get close if she's on the nest. If I move everything when she's off the nest, how will she know where to go, and who's to say she won't just abandon it? I could set up a brooder for the chicks only, but I'd really rather let mama do it. And I don't have an incubator, so that's not an option.

So I decided I was tired of the nest switching and worrying about pecking and not enough food for the chick, so I gathered up some stuff and decided to take a chance and move the broody, the eggs, and the baby, all during the day while I had the opportunity. So I found some stuff and fashioned a broody suite within the main run. My only concern is that it's not dark enough. I have a piece of peg board on top for some shade, as well as predator/flighty hen protection, but I didn't want to wrap the sides in tarp or blanket and risk roasting the birds. So any further input is appreciated. I am hoping that this will give mama an opportunity to take care of her and the chick, while also being able to keep sitting on the later eggs. I watched and baby can get in and out of the nest box by itself. I don't think it can get through my plastic mesh. It was certainly trying before mama got in there, but I think having mama in the same pen will keep it from trying to escape. A few more days and it won't be an issue at all, the little thing can get through the metal bars of the pen, but can't quite squeeze through the plastic that I zip tied around it. Any suggestions are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom