One Footed Chick

ggrap

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Colorado
Hi. I posted earlier about my chick with the hurt foot. It has now fallen off, but she is still getting picked on when I put her with the others. I have her in a small bird cage with the others so she can socialize a bit.

She has most of the shank, and my son has named her Peggy. There is still a red area where the foot came off, which is what is attracting the other birds.

Can I somehow make it less conspicuous?

Thanks

Make it a boot. You can adjust size as chick gets older.
Its small now so how about taping on a "brats" doll shoe?
I really dont know just thought this might help, its is not ment to offend anyone just a brain fart. LOL
Hope your chick stops being pecked on.

Quote:
LOL Brats doll. All the rage in chicken fashion.

I know...I could'nt think of anything else. Just thought of the dolls little peg leg.

The person that packed the box at the hatchery slammed the separator down on her leg. When I got her it had a hematoma and was huge. I lanced and cleaned it, but figured it would fall off. It was almost entirely purple. She is 2.5 wks old. Otherwise she is a perfectly healthy chick, and I imagine pretty strong to withstand that whole ordeal. Poor thing.

I like the idea of some sort of cast or protection. A band aid would match. But those other little boogers are ruthless. And I have a lot of chicks, around 200 I think.

I have put some mellow ones with her, but they want to get back out too.

My daughter is not a doll lover, but I used to sell dolls and doll collections, mostly vintage....but I might be able to find something. That might attract attention too, depending on what color it is.

Thanks.

I think what we need to know is how bad is this? Does it look like it hurts? what does the long term hold for the chick? If it's severe and at risk of infection I think there would only be one option, I'm not saying you should.

Will it also have a good quality of life having one foot for all it's life? I've never seen a chicken hop around all day before.

Let's hope it's not that bad.

Aw, poor baby! Well the Moleskin is very tough and withstands the chick's roughhousing. I use that all the time. It's thick and very sticky. You can find it at your pharmacy. It's meant for cracked heals on people.

Back
Top Bottom