One giant egg

Ducklin Ducklin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Hello everyone. I am new to my ducks, but my khaki just started laying and one of her first few eggs was really big, and when I cracked it open there were two yolks, is this unusual? Also, is it better if I have two females to live with my one rouen male? I live in oklahoma where the winters are pretty unpredictable but can get super cold. My ducks live in my backyard but I have a tiny coop that they really dont use, but she is laying her eggs in there. If I had two females would they be likely to share the nesting box or are they territorial?

Hello everyone. I am new to my ducks, but my khaki just started laying and one of her first few eggs was really big, and when I cracked it open there were two yolks, is this unusual? Also, is it better if I have two females to live with my one rouen male? I live in oklahoma where the winters are pretty unpredictable but can get super cold. My ducks live in my backyard but I have a tiny coop that they really dont use, but she is laying her eggs in there. If I had two females would they be likely to share the nesting box or are they territorial?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
It is not unusual for ducks to lay double yolkers especially when first beginning to lay as sometimes they will also lay soft shelled or shellless eggs too, just getting the kinks worked out. I have only seen double yolker a couple of times but different breed too. If you can manage having 2 ducks for your Rouen it would be much better for your one duck, sometimes drakes can be pretty hard on just one duck to where she will miss feathers and even begin to look straggly often even losing weight because of so much attention from the drake during mating season, can even interrupt laying. so 2 ducks would help her out a lot. plus make it warmer in winter although ducks are very hardy with a nice thick layer of down under their feathers so as long as they have a draft free dry place to sleep at night and to lay their eggs they are pretty happy. I'd consider locking them up at night though because no matter where we live out in the boon docks or in the city there are predators just waiting for an easy chance for duck dinner, one poster has had to get rid of 14 raccoons and she lives in the city limits. They may not like being put up at first but it's our responsibility to make sure they are safe. very pretty ducks too.
smile.png

With 17 hens we get an assortment also, one day i found a small one shaped like a squash. There's six of us, some of my teens like eggs more than others so when I fry eggs my two boys get huge buff and Swedish eggs my two girls get the smaller runner eggs and my hubby and I eat the med. crested girls eggs funny but it works perfect for us.

Back
Top Bottom