one gone

hennchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
West Virginia
Last night we lost one of our chicks. I'm not sure about Shelby being able to raise them. she got choked up when we noticed one bird was acting funny and she picked it up and brought it into the house. she gave it water and some chick starter, but I made her take it back to the coop to spend the night. Sadly, (as I suspected) she didn't make it, How can I get her to understand that sometimes animals die, and there isn't anything we can do about it. Hopefully she will understand in time. She always gets emotional when we loose an animal. (she has had an old Doe rabbit, she passed away after 6 years of having her) I just hope that if another one dies, we wont have to keep burying them in my back yard... with the other pets.

I'm sorry.
hugs.gif
Its can be quite difficult for children is understand death, especially if she is very young. She sounds like she is a big animal lover. Good for her!! I know that when we adults lose one of our special babies, its hard on us too. Just give her a big hug, and be understanding. That's the best advice I can give you.

I am the same way when one of my pets die. we have a pet graveyard. Hamsters, parrots, cats, dogs, iguanas and now chickens. I always cry over my pets when they die.

Nothing wrong with crying over a loss. Kids have to learn nature will have her way. My parents always allowed me to have elaborate funeral for all my pets. Although now I laugh at the memory of my dad measuring the perfect size hole for my goldfish, (no toilet burials for them!), I cried for each and every pet I lost. And in a strange way, these losses created memories that I treasure.

Back
Top Bottom