One goose no longer runs with the others? Anything wrong?

Sid Post

Chirping
5 Years
I currently have 8 French Toulouse geese that I raised from goslings. All 9 of them ran together many months this summer (one of them was lost, I assume to a predator). Now the weather is getting cooler and one of the geese no longer runs with the other 7. She stays on our "local" pond and doesn't venture very far away while the others continue to roam the countryside and go to our neighbors pond for a swim always returning to our "home" pond in the evening.

I have checked out the lone goose. I can't see anything wrong, she is healthy, fat, waddles fine, etc. Was she kicked out of the group for some reason? I'm pretty sure she is a female but, what do I know as a newbie? Is it possible she laid some eggs somewhere?

TIA,
Sid

I would be inclined to believe there is a health problem that you cannot observe. Sometimes they shun a sick goose perhaps for the same reasons we stay away from someone with pink-eye. If she was laying eggs I think she would behave normally until it was time to sit and this would not be the typical time for her to lay.

Is there any way you can isolate her in a pen so you can monitor and look for any possible problems/symptoms?

Example, check feet, is she eating/drinking, listless, withdrawn, etc. It will allow you to monitor poop too which can help with identifying potential problems. Some animals can ignore, self isolate, or even pick on the sick. In the wild, predators will attack a sick animal because they are easy prey and therefore by rejecting a sick or lame flock member keeps the rest of the group safer. So the first thing I would do is see if you can find out if anything is wrong with her.

The reason I ask is that I'm dealing with a sick goose right now. The first thing we noticed was Sunday morning she was standing by the kiddie pool all by herself and was not looking quite right. So I immediately isolated her and discovered that I had an emergency on my hands with only a couple of symptoms (unsteady and not eating). I'm currently working on treating her and making very slow progress, but progress just the same.

Good luck to you and hope you can figure out what is going on.

Is there any way you can isolate her in a pen so you can monitor and look for any possible problems/symptoms?

Example, check feet, is she eating/drinking, listless, withdrawn, etc. It will allow you to monitor poop too which can help with identifying potential problems. Some animals can ignore, self isolate, or even pick on the sick. In the wild, predators will attack a sick animal because they are easy prey and therefore by rejecting a sick or lame flock member keeps the rest of the group safer. So the first thing I would do is see if you can find out if anything is wrong with her.

The reason I ask is that I'm dealing with a sick goose right now. The first thing we noticed was Sunday morning she was standing by the kiddie pool all by herself and was not looking quite right. So I immediately isolated her and discovered that I had an emergency on my hands with only a couple of symptoms (unsteady and not eating). I'm currently working on treating her and making very slow progress, but progress just the same.

Good luck to you and hope you can figure out what is going on.
Do you mind sharing what your doing to help your goose it may help someone else.

Yes, Miss Lydia,

I started a thread yesterday asking for help and documenting the progress. Any advise, suggestions, opinions, ideas welcome. You can read about it in the thread titled " need help advice for goose not eating and wobbly"

I posted in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036818/need-help-advice-for-goose-not-eating-and-wobbly.
@Free Spirit Wow you gave her the works, that was a long list of remedies I am happy to hear she has improved that is good news.I defiantly don't like to use drugs unless absolutely necessary but I am not sure if any other the things you mentioned will kill the cocci protozoa.You might want to think about Corid just in case.

Last edited:
I currently have 8 French Toulouse geese that I raised from goslings. All 9 of them ran together many months this summer (one of them was lost, I assume to a predator). Now the weather is getting cooler and one of the geese no longer runs with the other 7. She stays on our "local" pond and doesn't venture very far away while the others continue to roam the countryside and go to our neighbors pond for a swim always returning to our "home" pond in the evening.

I have checked out the lone goose. I can't see anything wrong, she is healthy, fat, waddles fine, etc. Was she kicked out of the group for some reason? I'm pretty sure she is a female but, what do I know as a newbie? Is it possible she laid some eggs somewhere?

TIA,
Sid

@Sid Post since you say they frequent 2 ponds could there be a possibility she may have drank of eaten something toxic? First off I'd try using Activated charcoal with her mixed in water, you'll need to separate her from the rest of the flock to treat her. You say you have checked her out was that a hands on or just observing, hands on is much better because feathers can hid malnutrition... Please do a hands on examination and post back,feel her chest can you feel her [breast bone] pick her up and then another see if you can tell if she is thin compared to the other goose. I'll get the the flushes for toxins, also does anyone fish in either pond because geese have been known to pick up lead sinkers and they are deadly to water fowl. Hooks too for that matter. You also need to observe her poop.

These have to be followed to the T https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited:
I did a hands on inspection. Her gait and feet are fine. She has good weight and seems properly nourished.

It is unlikely she ate anything toxic but, it is possible. No one else has these symptoms so bad food and water seem unlikely.

I've had about 5" of rain today with another ~7" expected over the weekend so, a more detailed investigation will have to wait.

I did a hands on inspection. Her gait and feet are fine. She has good weight and seems properly nourished.

It is unlikely she ate anything toxic but, it is possible. No one else has these symptoms so bad food and water seem unlikely.

I've had about 5" of rain today with another ~7" expected over the weekend so, a more detailed investigation will have to wait.
Oh gosh I see your in for all that rain.. Hope everyone stays safe.

Please don't wait too long to get a flush into her in case it was a toxin that she picked up while foraging! The sooner you do it the better before it has a chance to get further into her blood stream. While Activated Charcoal is the best thing recommended, if you can't get any then you can substitute with an Epsom Salt flush or molasses flush. Just follow the link Miss Lydia provided for the correct mixture/dosages. Then make sure you follow up with electrolytes and probiotics to replace what the flush will have evacuated from her along with the bad stuff.

Sorry about all the rain your getting. Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom