One guinea keet with runny poop

Kstalls

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2021
One of my 2 week old guinea keets has some very runny poops. It just started about a day ago.. which is also the same day I introduce mealworms for the first time. They are eating turkey starter crumble, fresh water, access to grit and only giving mealworms once a day as trying to convince the little rascles that I am a nice person.. they are so skiddish! I am trying to start training them with treats and a call so I can hopefully get them back into their coop each evening when the time comes. *main question: should I be concerned about the runny poops and if so, what should I give them to alleviate the problem? Thank you in advance for any advise!

One of my 2 week old guinea keets has some very runny poops. It just started about a day ago.. which is also the same day I introduce mealworms for the first time. They are eating turkey starter crumble, fresh water, access to grit and only giving mealworms once a day as trying to convince the little rascles that I am a nice person.. they are so skiddish! I am trying to start training them with treats and a call so I can hopefully get them back into their coop each evening when the time comes. *main question: should I be concerned about the runny poops and if so, what should I give them to alleviate the problem? Thank you in advance for any advise!
Hi Kstalls, is the poop sticking to their rear ends? How runny is it? Do they seem sick, like huddling in one spot, lethargic, etc? I’m on another guinea fowl group that is convinced that all keets need amprolium containing medicated feed to prevent coccidiosis. That has not been my experience, but if your keets have suddenly developed diarrhea I would be thinking about coccidiosis.

I give keets and chicks big clumps of grass with root balls that still have fresh, clean dirt. It’s should be big clumps so that they don’t eat long strands of grass and get impacted. I’m convinced that the dirt helps my chicks and keets get a healthy gut biome. I also give them electrolytes and the save a chick probiotic in their water anytime that I think they may be stressed or unhealthy. While I’d be thinking about the possibility of coccidiosis, for my own keets or chicks I’d be trying to get probiotics into them first. If sick with coccidiosis, then they would need to have the “high dose” amprolium, which is part of why I’d be thinking probiotics first. Here’s the combo I use for stressed chicks or keets:
https://www.savacaf.com/products/sav-a-chick-combo-pack/

I also like Nutridrench for more delicate or ill poultry.

Hi Kstalls, is the poop sticking to their rear ends? How runny is it? Do they seem sick, like huddling in one spot, lethargic, etc? I’m on another guinea fowl group that is convinced that all keets need amprolium containing medicated feed to prevent coccidiosis. That has not been my experience, but if your keets have suddenly developed diarrhea I would be thinking about coccidiosis.

I give keets and chicks big clumps of grass with root balls that still have fresh, clean dirt. It’s should be big clumps so that they don’t eat long strands of grass and get impacted. I’m convinced that the dirt helps my chicks and keets get a healthy gut biome. I also give them electrolytes and the save a chick probiotic in their water anytime that I think they may be stressed or unhealthy. While I’d be thinking about the possibility of coccidiosis, for my own keets or chicks I’d be trying to get probiotics into them first. If sick with coccidiosis, then they would need to have the “high dose” amprolium, which is part of why I’d be thinking probiotics first. Here’s the combo I use for stressed chicks or keets:
https://www.savacaf.com/products/sav-a-chick-combo-pack/

I also like Nutridrench for more delicate or ill poultry.
Thank you for the reply! The poop is not sticking to their rear ends.. i am checking that a lot as I lost two to pasty butt the day I brought them home. They don’t seem sick at all. Acting like normal, making happy sounds, playing and napping! I actually did not notice any runny poops in the brooder box this morning.. I do have save-a-chick probiotic that I added to their water yesterday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom