One hen died four days ago, now another one not doing well ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southdakota, Dec 5, 2010.

1. southdakota

southdakota Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Hens, unknown breed and age, purchased this summer for grasshopper control

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    One hen came out of coop one day with her one leg knuckled over, she was walking on her knuckle (do chickens have knuckles?) when I put my finger under her foot, she grasped my finger but she cannot open her foot to walk. She is very VERY thin in the breast, can feel her breast bone, eats well and drinks well (I made her a convalescent box and gave her food and water by hand)...she continued to leave the coop for three days, the third morning she was dead...that was last week...this morning...another one of the hens is standing with one leg drawn up, she can walk, just prefers not to...I picked her up and she too, is very thin in the breast.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    First hen, several days before death.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Second hen is now exhibiting same symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Plain water. Purina Laying feed, scratch grain, laying feed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None yet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No pictures

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Modified deep litter (about three to four inches of pine shavings)

I have a small flock of 23 birds, 21 hens and two roosters...7 hens in one coop and the rest of the hens and the roosters in another coop. Birds free range through the day and return to coop at night. They have access to food, water, and a poultry block free choice.

Are the eggs safe to eat if the birds are sick?

Thank you for any help. I am new to having hens, I thought I just wanted them for grasshopper control but I became so fond of them I had a coop built and decided to keep them. my original intent was grasshopper control and then give them away before winter...but I am very fond of the girls and my little rooster cogburn is a beautiful mahogany colored bantam. I would miss my girls. My original flock was ten, 8 hens and 2 roosters I purchased for $10...I then purchased 6 RIR and added to my original little flock...a month later I purchased 7 RIR pullets two months later and just a month ago someone gave me a pet aracuna hen that is not laying yet (the aracuna is doing fine, as are the rir)

I really enjoy my hens !!

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I don't know much about illness or injury, but how high is the roost? Sounds like hens getting injured jumping too far down.

3. southdakota

Dec 5, 2010
    Thank you, the roost was only 24 inches off the floor, but the handy man came and rebuilt the roost and nest boxes and now the roosts are between 36 and 48 inches...
    however, both these hens had their wings clipped when I bought them and it is possible that they tried to fly up to the roost but could not make it?
    They also had just finished molting

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you ever wormed your chickens?

5. southdakota

Dec 5, 2010
    No, I have not wormed them...

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Often thin chickens are suffering with worms and if it goes on long enough they can get weakness in legs/wings ect.

Something to watch for too is Marek's this can show up as chickens that fail to thrive and have limb weakness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by