One hen died overnight...bury it or wrap and trash it?

Sleepy71

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all:

Yesterday, while letting my bigger girls free range a little before dusk, I noticed one of them wasn't acting right. Just kinda standing there, glassy-eyed and non-responsive. I picked her up to check her out and the only thing I noticed was her butt area was pretty nasty. At one point, she squirted out some very wet/clear poop. I decided to separate her from the other 5 hens, just in case she died, as I didn't want the others to peck/eat her. Well, I just came home for lunch, and she did pass. The others seem to be acting OK. So, my question: Can I just wrap her up and put her out with the trash? I'm not sentimental enough to want to bury a bird, and I figure it's more sanitary to get this off my property. Thoughts?

you can absolutely trash her.

Im very sentimental and have buried all of my birds, but i see nothing wrong if you want to put her in the garbage. In fact, in winter i will probably have to do the same when the ground freezes.

I am not sure that is legal. You can't do that with cats and dogs so.....honestly save yourself any legal problems and bury it.

I would check your local laws first...our city doesn't allow you to put dead animals in the normal trash...they require our citizens to request a sanitation pickup. As a wildlife rehabber, we see lots of animals come in too sick or injured to help. When those die, they go into the burn can so as not to spread disease.

bury it or, if you want, put it in the woods and feed some other animal. i do that if i loose one in freezing temps and can't bury it. that way her life won't be wasted. just be sure to walk/drive it far enough away not to attract animals or spread contagion to your coop and make sure it's far from other peoples houses. if you don't live in a rural area, that could be more difficult

I bury named birds, in a little cemetary section of my property and with some small ceremony and words said to honor them. Well, except for a mean bantam Cochin (go figure, huh? Mean Cochin!?!?) which was sent on his way by shovel, but wrapped and put in the trash.

Back
Top Bottom