One hen has it hard

Interesting. My RIR are universally near or at the top of my pecking order. They even outrank a variety of American Gamefowl hens
I have a wonky flock. My Polish calls the shots, she is the smallest thing out there.🤦‍♀️ The EE is number two then cinnamon queen is third the RIR is second to last out of eight birds.

It might be easier to convince the chicken owner to give away one hen instead of several, or are the Cinnamon Queens going after the other chickens as well?
The Queens are just mean ass bullies. And yes, to everyone but themselves and the Austrolorps. They are rotten, just rotten. They beat up the younger Leghorns and have always been mean to the Americanas. So, I really do want them gone...but only to a good home, of course!

I heard you can put a bell on the injured chick, and it’ll make the others run from it. Upon doing this it’ll sorta reset the pecking order. I haven’t tried it myself as I don’t have any bullies. But maybe it’ll work? I have a cinnamon queen I spray bottle if she gets out of hand. It’s like the get bored and start a fight. But my fully RIR is at the bottom of the pecking order and super skiddish.
I like this suggestion. I'm heading to the feed store today to get supplies, and I'll look for a bell. The Queens are just bullies. I think I will try to get the farm owner to let me re-home them.

My RIRs are the bully birds in our flock of 30+. They even square up on our turkey hens and the only bird they don't get away with bully behavior towards is our Tom broad breasted white.

Interesting. My RIR are universally near or at the top of my pecking order. They even outrank a variety of American Gamefowl hens
Cinnamon Queens have a fair bit of RIR in them. They are all top of the flock, with Linda being number one bird and the meanest of them all. They don't pick on each other, but they do all the others with the exception of the Austrolorps. Meanies, just meanies.

My RIRs are the bully birds in our flock of 30+. They even square up on our turkey hens and the only bird they don't get away with bully behavior towards is our Tom broad breasted white.
Oh I know. My 5 Queens are just menaces. And yes, they couldn't give a wit about size. I don't have a rooster, but I wish I did. Maybe he could get them under control. Bad birds!!! BAD birds.

I got an interesting reply that now seems to be lost (??) about a rooster being essential. Anyone else feel this way? Would the presence of a rooster help stop the Cinnamons from badgering the other birds?

Ok, latest news, and still some questions. I had poor Gina in the hospital/jail/broody pen for two nights and a day to get her head healed. I let her out today, put some Rooster Booster Peck-no-more on her wee head. All was well throughout the day. Usually the hens rest in the day, so no real surprise there.

This evening, they're at it again. Linda is the main bully, so I put her in jail first. Then Sweet Pea and Rita were both beating up Gina, so they got put in jail with Evil Linda.

I intend to keep all three in there for several days. Is this wise, or since it is Linda who stirs things up for the most part, should she be in solitary? The other 2 went after poor Gina without Linda present though,and I can't allow it. I think it's a Cinnamon Queen thing. It seems if they are out and start on Gina, even the 2 lower tier Americana's will join in.

So am I properly re-setting the pecking order with all 3 of the brutes in there together? I really really don't want Gina continuing to get beat up. I'm also using a spray bottle with vinegar water if I catch some devil in the act, but they really just look at me and think I'm out of my mind.

I did get permission to re-home the Queens if that is necessary.

I love all of you for your kind answers and advice. I'm in 8 years of chicken keeping, but I have never had such a situation. I will never ever have redheads again!!

Back
Top Bottom