One Hen Just Won't Lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by capebird, Nov 25, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    My 4 Barred Rocks are going on 26 weeks old now. I got them all together at the same time,
    they are from the same shipment from the hatchery....so they're all the same age.
    3 of them lay consistently, mostly every day.... and have been for about
    4 weeks. The 4th hasn't laid an egg yet, nor is she showing any signs of laying (no squatting as the others do).
    And, no... she is not a he. Any words of wisdom from you veterans? This is my first flock, so wondering if this
    is a "normal" occurrence..... where some birds just take longer to mature.
    Thanks for the insights.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    some just take much longer.
    ... and believe it or not, some never lay.
    I suppose that's where the term 'stewing hen' came from... delicious from the crock pot.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You get dud once in a great while. Something about their hormonal system just never develops properly. Like you, I got a bunch of BRs this past March. One never did exhibit maturity or lay. She also was a bit ostracized by the group because of it, I believe. After giving her two extra months, I gave her to my neighbor in the scant hope that a new environment might have a positive effect. Pretty sure that failed too and after another month, he likely had a nice tender hen on his table.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by