One hen laying shell-less eggs, one laying eggs with rough bumps

SeaChickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Seattle, WA
I seem to have a hen that is laying just yolks/whites. At first I thought someone was eating eggs after finding messy nest boxes with yolk all over (and no shell bits), but today there was also a big wet spot out by their feeder that looked like a plop of egg white. Again no shells. But then there were 3 eggs in the nest box that were untouched (though very dirty from the yolk). If someone was eating the eggs, wouldn’t they eat those too?

I also have a hen that is laying some very rough looking eggs a few times (see photo). They eat layer crumbles and I have free choice oyster shell in a separate container. Not too many treats, usually just a small amount of fruits or veggies every few days.

They are about 9 months old and started laying at about 6 months. Is this just because they are still new at it? I know which hen is laying the rough eggs but I can’t figure out between 2 others as to who might be laying the loose yolks. All of them are acting normal but we’ve stopped letting them out into their larger yard because of avian flu so could be some stress from that (they still have a decent size covered run through).

Attachments

• 9F002342-A26E-4F4C-902A-68CD2EF384E0.jpeg
    9F002342-A26E-4F4C-902A-68CD2EF384E0.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 62011854-9BD6-4630-867E-6362DD1B8809.jpeg
    62011854-9BD6-4630-867E-6362DD1B8809.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 11
Anybody? Is this just because they're still relatively new to laying? Also - with the rough egg, after reading other posts on BYC, it seems that means too much calcium. But the shell-less egg usually means not enough calcium (maybe) so I don't want to remove the oyster shell, right?

I have one ISA hens that lays calcium bumpy eggs too. I would not take away oyster shell. Others have suggested adding calcium citrate too cause her shell is very thin. They suggested putting tablet directly in beak, I dissolve it and mix with feed every other day or so. I give them back their shells too. It did help her shells and eggs are still bumpy but no biggee.
I would guess they are not eating eggs also just new at laying. Some hens lay soft shell eggs periodically . I'm going to tag an expert. @azygous.

Last edited:
Anybody? Is this just because they're still relatively new to laying? Also - with the rough egg, after reading other posts on BYC, it seems that means too much calcium. But the shell-less egg usually means not enough calcium (maybe) so I don't want to remove the oyster shell, right?

My hens are 3 years old. Just recently, I started getting a very thin shelled egg for a few days. The shell was so thin that it broke in my hand when I went to gather it up in the basket. Then, a few days later, I started getting an egg that was very rough and bumpy, just about the exact opposite of the thin shelled eggs. I don't know if it is the same chicken that is having these issues, but it's been only one "funny" egg per day - all my other eggs appear to be normal.

Since I suspect it's only one hen that is having problems, I'm not going to change anything in regards to feed. I always have grit and calcium available in separate feeders. It's very seldom that I notice anything off on my eggs, but in the past week or so, I have had about 5 eggs that were not normal.

The eggs that were thin shelled and broke in my hand were not wasted. I gathered up everything, pine shavings and all, and cooked it in the microwave to feed back to the chickens. The rough, thick, bumpy eggs I set aside to eat at home. Nothing wrong with them, but just not up to a quality to sell. (We sell our excess eggs to some friends).

I suspect that your abnormal egg situation will correct itself in short time provided you are feeding a decent commercial feed and have grit and calcium available as needed. Your chickens are new to laying eggs, and their bodies might not be fully regulated yet. Give them a bit of time before you make any major adjustments. Most things with my chickens seem to work themselves out without me having to do much.

Thanks for the reassurance @gtaus - I hope that will be the case. I've had chickens for quite some time and this is the first time that anybody has laid strange eggs (other than very small eggs) so I worry. It's very helpful to hear other people's experiences!

I give my girls about 2/3 c oyster shell every third day. I scatter it over their food. There shelves had gotten so weak and broke so easily and once I started doing that it’s been great. I get a shower with a few extra bumps but it just seems to be a random thing

I have a hen who lays eggs with thick deposits, too. Not quite as extreme as your photo though. The thing is, the same shells are weak. I attribute it to lack of calcium in my case, or inconsistency. I feed their eggshells back to them, but I’m not very disciplined about it. Since the garden is planted for our food right now, they haven’t had as much access to greens ( calcium) as usual. I finally got them crushed oyster shell and the thinness has improved. They ate way more oyster shell than I expected. It’s free feed in a container with drain holes. I’ve read that the oyster shell takes longer to break down in the hens so they have available calcium longer after eating the oyster, as opposed to the egg shells.

I’ve thought that maybe the egg isn’t moving through the duct at a consistent speed… maybe from dehydration? I’ve read the speed affects the consistency of coloration and I’ve seen variation in color on the eggs with the thick deposits.

Work in progress. If I figure anything out I’ll try ro add it here.

I have a hen who lays eggs with thick deposits, too. Not quite as extreme as your photo though. The thing is, the same shells are weak. I attribute it to lack of calcium in my case, or inconsistency. I feed their eggshells back to them, but I’m not very disciplined about it. Since the garden is planted for our food right now, they haven’t had as much access to greens ( calcium) as usual. I finally got them crushed oyster shell and the thinness has improved. They ate way more oyster shell than I expected. It’s free feed in a container with drain holes. I’ve read that the oyster shell takes longer to break down in the hens so they have available calcium longer after eating the oyster, as opposed to the egg shells.

I’ve thought that maybe the egg isn’t moving through the duct at a consistent speed… maybe from dehydration? I’ve read the speed affects the consistency of coloration and I’ve seen variation in color on the eggs with the thick deposits.

Work in progress. If I figure anything out I’ll try ro add it here.
Hello. I sprinkle calcium (oyster shell) about 1/2c over their food pan 3-4 times per week. Shells are good now. Good luck

I seem to have a hen that is laying just yolks/whites. At first I thought someone was eating eggs after finding messy nest boxes with yolk all over (and no shell bits), but today there was also a big wet spot out by their feeder that looked like a plop of egg white. Again no shells. But then there were 3 eggs in the nest box that were untouched (though very dirty from the yolk). If someone was eating the eggs, wouldn’t they eat those too?

I also have a hen that is laying some very rough looking eggs a few times (see photo). They eat layer crumbles and I have free choice oyster shell in a separate container. Not too many treats, usually just a small amount of fruits or veggies every few days.

They are about 9 months old and started laying at about 6 months. Is this just because they are still new at it? I know which hen is laying the rough eggs but I can’t figure out between 2 others as to who might be laying the loose yolks. All of them are acting normal but we’ve stopped letting them out into their larger yard because of avian flu so could be some stress from that (they still have a decent size covered run through).
If your chickens are in a covered run they may not be gettting enough sun or vitamin D3 .You can add an ultraviolet light

Back
Top Bottom