One hen left

missjaneaust

Hatching
Feb 18, 2017
On Sunday I lost one of my beautiful isa brown chickens. I have one very healthy looking chook remaining but she seems lost and lonely without her friend. She free ranges in my backyard and has the company of our dog during the day. I'm wondering if I should introduce another bird, but have heard/read more cons than pros. Advice?

Thanks in advance :)

On Sunday I lost one of my beautiful isa brown chickens. I have one very healthy looking chook remaining but she seems lost and lonely without her friend. She free ranges in my backyard and has the company of our dog during the day. I'm wondering if I should introduce another bird, but have heard/read more cons than pros. Advice?

Thanks in advance
smile.png

Welcome. Sorry about your Bird. How old was she? Did she just pass with no signs of being hurt. Introducing another chicken close the same age is not usually a problem. I add them at night and placing the new one on the roost next to the other. Kinda get to know each other in the dark. Then as it breaks day I go out and watch at a distance to make sure they are getting alone---expecting a little fuss in the beginning. Most Chickens do not like living alone.

Back
Top Bottom