Single hen left: older pet hen, not sure what to do?

NH-McQs

Chirping
5 Years
May 23, 2019
Hi chicken friends,

I need your advice. I am winding down my small backyard flock of pet chickens, and yesterday one of my two hens passed. The remaining hen is an older (but still laying) 5-year-old barred rock. I have read that it's not humane to keep a single hen- not sure if that is true? Unfortunately, by winter this year, I won't be able to have any chickens, but for the short term, I'm not sure what's best for my hen. What is the best of these three options? It's not an option to have a house chicken.

1. Keep the hen and hope that she passes naturally before winter (if that's not bad for her to be alone)
2. Find another home for her, which may be hard on her since she has always lived in a large, comfy coop with lots of healthy treats and a small, no-stress flock.
3. Find another older hen as a companion and give them away as a pair in the fall.

Please let me know your thoughts and if there are any other options I haven't thought of. Thank you!

Considering there's no telling how long she may live and you'll have to give her away eventually anyways I'd find someone to take her in. 5 certainly is older but with luck she may have a few more good years left in her and it wouldn't be good for her to spend those years alone
x2. If she's otherwise in good health I'd assume she'd make it to the winter without issue, and it might be harder to find her a home on shorter notice than if you give yourself a bit more time to vet potential new owners.

Back
Top Bottom