1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one hen molting leading to another?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DutchieWannabe, Nov 15, 2010.

1. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    I was suprised to see one hen start molting so late in the season, though it has been fairly mild for us here in Southern Idaho. About a week after the first started to molt(or show actual signs of molting), a second hen has started dropping feathers in decent portions. but my question is: if one is molting will it trigger the othe ladies to start as well, or is it just these two are on a similar schedule? [​IMG]

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure what triggers it - I always thought it was in response to light and the season since they always do it in late summer and fall, but all of my hens seems to start within a month or so of one another. It does seem odd - just when they really need their feathers (especially here in Colorado, though we had a long, mild fall this year) they only have about half of them. Brrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by