One hen... overheating? sick?

Kalthia

Songster
14 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Virginia
I have 5 hens in my first flock. I just got my first 5 eggs yesterday. One hen, the biggest, is panting and kinda seems to be separating herself from the others. Yesterday, they all seemed hot - so we added more shade and gave them a mist for about 1/2 hour, sprayed everything down to cool them off. This seemed to work.
Today, I went out with my first fermented feed - and was watching them. She came out and ate some, they all did and seem to enjoy it. I got busy with another hen with a dirty butt (thanks to this forum, I got that all fixed) but I noticed she was going back to the other end of the run, under the coop. They all do during times of the day, but she seems to be doing it more than others.

I decided she needed something so I cleaned out the waterer really well (it was time) and put some hen electrolytes in with some ice.
Then I pulled weeds in the garden and took them to her. She came over looked, and went to sit down in the shade.
Is this just personality? She is panting, while none of the others are. She felt warm when I picked her up, but they all do. She pooped normally and I got 4 eggs today - so pretty sure she already laid for the day.

Guess I am just worried, her eyes are clear .. but that panting worries me.
IMG_7609.JPG

Last edited:
I think she was just having a hard time laying - a really big egg. I went to check to see if she was egg bound and she kept getting in the box - last time I went I found a warm big egg! shew!! Will keep an eye on her. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom