One hen roosting in tree, rest in the coop

Quote:
I had the same routine with Gladys. I kept her in lockdown for 3 days with no luck. Then another 3 days. After the second 3 day lockdown, she figured it out. I say just lock her up again and keep her there for a straight 72 hours. If it doesn't work, try it again. I think she'll figure it out.

Just my opinion.
hu.gif

I recently put a light in the coop that goes on at 4 pm and stays on til 8 pm to extend the day for the girls. I heard that will help also with chickens going to the coop.

I had a lone Lakenvelder that insisted the tree was where she needed to be, even in the dead of winter. I got sick of fighting her, so I let her have her way. I did eventually lose her to a predator I am assuming, but my mind is at ease knowing she was blissfully happy in her tree and I didn't stress her out every night. It's a lot like kids, you've got to choose your battles
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's why I decided to try the lockdown. I didn't think it was right to have to fight with her every night. I wanted her safe, but I wanted it to be her decision to go to the coop. Luring her in with treats worked for a while, but when that got old, I tried the lockdown. I was amazed when I saw her little chicken brain click the first night she realized she was supposed to be in the coop. She figured it out, and is the first one in every night. Everyone's happy now. Except the racoons, I expect!
big_smile.png

It's not much of a problem anymore. I have three hens and a rooster coming to my flock next wed and that will make seven birds.With the rest going into the coop, she may follow. I had big flocks before but have been having more fun with less. Not near the work, worry and feed bill. Feed has gone from eight dollars to thirteen fifty lb bag. I only will have a rooster because I want one hen to hatch out chicks. Looking forward to all of it.

Back
Top Bottom