one hen, two eggs, neither one is good, help

sixty7x

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Warwick RI
I've got 2 RIR that started laying a week ago. everything was fine. 1-2 eggs a day. Then yesterday I noticed a smaller egg on the coop floor and one hen in the nesting box. Opened the nesting box and there was an egg with no shell. I did a bit of research and come to find out that it is common for new layers. O.K. . Later on that day we got another egg. Most likely from other hen. Then today we got a good egg in the a.m. and when I got home and checked the nesting box there was an egg with a very soft(jelly feeling) shell. Looked around and found another egg very small and wrinkled. Is it possible that I have one hen that is not feeling well, or two hens that happen to have the same issue on consecutive days? Should I look for something that may be causing this issue or let nature run it's course? I'm feeding layer pellets and haven't offered oyster shell yet. I figured I would just wait until they started laying eggs and I haven't gotten to feed store yet.

Ron

Not sure if it's normal. But my white rock started laying a few weeks ago and I'd get an egg and then a shell-less one also. This went on few about a week or so. I was very confused at first. I'll be interested to see if this is normal. I also am feeding layer food plus oyster on the side. My guess is they are just getting started and this is normal.

I'm trying not to look into it too much, but they are my first chickens. Like many others here, it's all new to me.

Ron

The very first two eggs one of my BSLs laid were soft, and they were laid on the same day. Now she lays very thick shelled eggs, but occasionally lays a softy. Coincidentally, I just posted something similar to this earlier this evening. I've found that when they lay a soft shell another comes along shortly after. I think it's both a new layer thing and a cycle thing. Give her some free-choice oyster shell and her system should work things out.

You never know what they were eating before you got them, either. Plus, it's very disturbing to move to a new coop with a new keeper. That often interrupts laying in hens. They'll probably get themselves sorted out eventually. I do think it's a good idea to have oyster shell available, so they can eat it if they need it.

I'd get more than oyster shells in them. I think there is a calcium supplement that you put in their water. Sounds like these girls need a boost.

While the egg feels so weird, it is just a malfunction in the shell, the egg inside is fine, but the shell will not protect it from anything, so should be used right away. Or fed to the dog.

Sometimes even with oystershell, and not new layers, mine will go through a spell of these kind of shells showing up, then it goes away. I have oystershell free choice. I also occasionally let them have egg shells, which they like even better, but I crush them up.

don't worry about it, it will probably go away!

MK

My BR laid some weird eggs in the beginning - thin shell, soft shell, wrinkled shell and no shell. She eventually worked it out and is already a laying machine. Just make sure that layer feed is their primary source of nutrition (cut down on the treats for a while maybe....if they are getting treats) and set out a dish of oyster shell (not added to food) that they can take as needed. They'll work it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom