One hen will not roost with others

j4peace

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
Hello there fellow Chicken Whisperers!
My husband and I are new to tending to chickens. We have 5 hens and 1 rooster. They are still young and not yet laying. We had a dinner party last night outside and I noticed that one of my hens did not go and roost with the others as the sun was setting. It was well after dark and she was still outside in the run. I picked her up and placed her in the coop on the roosting pole. There is plenty of space for everyone to roost on the same pole. I noticed again this evening that she did the same thing. Except this time I place her in the coop and then she came back out into the run. Is this unusual? I have not noted any abnormal behavior except she seems noisier than the others and squawks more. She also had a good appetite and her poo looks normal. Do you think she is in distress? or ill? Just throwing this out there but she is also the most tame one. She's my favorite and I handle her often. However, I do handle all of my chickens daily so I can get a little chicken love :) Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Did she know you were in sight of the run both nights? She may be waiting for more attention or special treats from you.

I do not think that she is sick. She seems perfectly healthy when interacting with everyone else. To be honest, I am not sure what pecking order behavior looks like but I haven't really seen any from my group. They are only a few months old so I don' t know when to expect this kind of behavior.

She did know I was outside those two nights but last night I was not outside and I came out well after dark and found her separated from the group again.

she is my most friendly chic and won't try to walk away from me when I bend down. She'll actually come to me. I sort of have to force affection on the other ladies LOL

I'm just worried that something is wrong. Any other suggestions?? thank you!!!!!!

Well, while chickens are flock animals, they are still individuals and we do not like everyone the same way--some families also have problems liking each other ( thank goodness, not mine!). Pole roost? Some birds so not feel secure on a round roost, a flat board roost might appeal to her better? When you place her on the roost with the others, do they threaten her in someway? I would continue to place her on the roost at night, close the coop. so she cannot sleep uotside. You will just have to be creative with her--aren't young pullets nice? Where I live, she would not survive outside many nights--too many predators! Good luck

I have the same problem. I have 6 10month old hens (2 Rhode island reds,3 golden buffs and 1 black)and a 3 year old rooster. They all stick closely together during the day but when everyone goes in the coop in the back yard in the evenings,one of my rhode island reds comes around to the front porch and settles in on the back of my porch swing. If I pick her up and take her to the coop she will stay there But she seems to prefer the solitude of the front porch
I've never understood why she does this and I don't have a problem with it other than the fact that she poops all over my swing
1f622.png

I have the same problem. I have 6 10month old hens (2 Rhode island reds,3 golden buffs and 1 black)and a 3 year old rooster. They all stick closely together during the day but when everyone goes in the coop in the back yard in the evenings,one of my rhode island reds comes around to the front porch and settles in on the back of my porch swing. If I pick her up and take her to the coop she will stay there But she seems to prefer the solitude of the front porch
I've never understood why she does this and I don't have a problem with it other than the fact that she poops all over my swing
1f622.png
I also have one hen, out of 20, that comes to roost on our back porch. She sits on the seat of our old metal glider. Will hang out with the others during the day but won't roost with them at night.

I have a hen that has suddenly become listless and curls herself in a ball on the ground either inside the run or outside but doesn't go in the coop unless I put her there. She won't get on the roost and sleeps on the ground away from other hens. She's the last to come out in the mornings. She doesn't appear sick but I'm a little worried.

Back
Top Bottom