One-inch rule for predators entering coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickensAreSweet, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read on this message board that anything greater than one inch in terms of an opening in your coop invites weasels and rats.

What about a one inch STRIP around a door? I built two A-frame coops and the doors were really difficult for me.

As a result, I have about a one inch strip that is bothering me. I keep worrying about it. I have 20 Golden Campines in there now.

Is the rule a one inch square, or a one inch strip? I have only seen pictures of weasels on here, and haven't seen rats around here.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    overlay your doors (that means the frame of your door sits on the frame of your unit).... instead of fitting it inside the opening... that way you can control the tightness of your gap by your lock...

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A rat can easily get through a 1" opening. Even a LARGE rat. 1/2" may keep them out.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Rats can fit through an opening the size of a quarter, mice can fit through one the size of a dime. Basically, if the skull can get through, so can the rest

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    When I built my run I didn't get my door quite square, so I had a gap on one side that was bigger than I was comfortable with. I just took a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe and used galvanized screws to screw it into the wood in that gap. I didn't have any scrap wood that would work at the time. You might have some that would work or you can buy pressure treated 1"x1/2" wood strip very reasonably. Just cut a length to fit the gap and nail it in. Problem solved. No gray hairs!

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:This is the solution I would recommend. Take a piece of wood slightly larger than the gap and screw it into the back side of the door frame, overlapping the edge of the door. Rats are found everywhere, so you definitely have the potential. Depending on where you live, you may also have snakes.

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:This is the easiest way to fix it. Just use a piece of trim or something screwed to the door across the gap.

8. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Oh dear!!!!

[​IMG]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ChickensAreSweet

Thank you for all your answers!!!!!!!!

I've got to set to work at getting this fixed. I'm sure I'll use one of these ideas from you.

[​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've posted this a number of times, including on my BYC page, but I lost 15/18 chickens to a weasel last spring that got through a hole that mice chewed through the bottom of a door. That hole was less than half an inch in diameter. Remember weasels prey on rats and mice by going into their tunnels so if a mouse can fit, so can a weasel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by